Mary Kenny mirrors Churches attitude

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
BrianOR

Mary Kenny mirrors Churches attitude

Post by BrianOR » Thu May 21, 2009 12:40 am

"I don't know what all the fuss is about. If say 2% of Catholic priests are paedophiles and there are 40,000 priests that means that only 800 are paedophiles!"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... se-ireland
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Mary Kenny mirrors Churches attitude

Post by ctr » Thu May 21, 2009 2:01 am

I can't find that quote :?
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu May 21, 2009 9:39 am

"Theres none so pure as a reformed whore"
Brendan Behan

All in all she seems to have known an inordinate number of priests.

Mary Kenny on Michael Collins:
http://mary-kenny.com/published_article ... aedia.html

It's an interesting article.
Note the last paragraph.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu May 21, 2009 12:14 pm

The last paragraph... basically says: "Um... I'm just gonna make stuff up now." But then, that is her trademark. I don't mind her airing her opinions, even if I disagree with them. I do mind when she gets her facts just plain wrong.

Saying that, I also can't find the quote you are refering to... in the past I've noticed that the Irish and UK versions of her articles are slightly different. Was it maybe a different edition you were reading?
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
davef

Post by davef » Thu May 21, 2009 1:23 pm

I think he might be paraphrasing.
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu May 21, 2009 3:20 pm

I was referring to this paragraph:
But it is clear that he did have a spiritual dimension, and he did draw comfort from this. This spiritual dimension grew when he was under duress, and also, perhaps, reaching a more reflective age. Collins certainly died a wholly Christian death: when he realised he had been fatally wounded, his last words to Emmet Dalton were “No reprisals, lads”. That is tantamount to a perfect act of Christian forgiveness. At the Requiem Mass for the repose of his soul, many candles were lit, and many tears shed, most particularly by grieving women.
It's typical of the all pervasive cloying attitude of religious delusionists (particularly the CCL variety) to claim that despite the fact Collins was demonstrably anti-Church, as soon as he uttered the dying words "No reprisals" well then that must mean he's gone all religious. It flies in the face of reality without a hint of a blush. It's like they get, so locked into deep seated reality denial that they have to go around like some hyper employee in a supermarket putting their label on everything no matter if it’s theirs or not. You can spend your life time as actively unreligious as you like but you can't do something like say "No reprisals" without suddenly being claimed to have crossed into "Christian" territory.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
davef

Post by davef » Thu May 21, 2009 3:50 pm

Oops - I was referring to the OP and the fact that the quote he mentions isn't in the article he linked to.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu May 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Sorry, FXR, I was referring to Brian's quote - your reference "last paragraph" is quite clear enough :lol:

Anyway, quite... like I said she's just making stuff up there, inferring whatever meaning to the "facts" she feels like. She's retreating to the No atheists on their deathbed and No good without God sloganeering.

I find it interesting that she claims that child-abuse is expressly forbidden in the Bible (Guardian article above). Or at least that child abusers are condemned. When do you suppose she last read her bible?

The Bible condemns child abusers except in the verses where it condones them. She is careful to say the New Testament denounces it (I guess even she can't pretend Deuteronomy is really like the Care Bears, only in fancy dress).

But the New Testament also says this:
...those whom the Lord loves He disciplines, and He scourges every son whom He receives. It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? (Hebrews 12.5-7)
That's not only physical abuse (scourging) but also emotional (and you must be expect and accept it).
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu May 21, 2009 4:42 pm

Mary might seem like she's gone off somewhere beyond the end of the bus routes but her attitude is not rare among catlicks. I seem to remember Tony O'Reilly, owner of the Independent newspaper, expounding the same attitude. He basically said that he'd never known of any child rape in his exclusive cathlick school for rich kids. (I've know many different people from all walks of life but I've never actually seen any of them have a big crap so I suppose it's not very common.)

The thing is as deranged as Mary is she's writing for a major newspaper and getting paid for it. The sheep will cling to even the flimsiest blindfold to keep from facing up to reality. I've been watching the whole thing unfold over the last two days. From reporters to news anchors and even the victims everyone keeps avoiding the real source of the problem: Catholicism itself. One unfortunate victim on TV3 this morning discussed putting up a memorial to the victims in the form of..........wait for it..........a fucking angel and inscribed with the words of the mealy mouthed apology stuttered by Bertie Ahern who overseen the Indemnity Deal. That was when he and fellow Cathlick Michael Woods made sure when the shit hit the fan the CCL would have it's money firewalled.

We don't have separation of Church and State until it comes to the bill for child rape. Thats proably Bertie the Mumblers version of secular progress.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu May 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Yes I find it an odd idea to say the least. I would have thought that the last thing a victim of abuse would want is a monument, let alone one that reproduces symbols of the Institution as if they were comforting. In fact its a particularly crass gesture, especially if they use words spoken by the man that has in effect protected guilty Church Institutions from financial liability for their crimes.
Cork Skeptics