Mary Kenny mirrors Churches attitude

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
JH
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Mary Kenny mirrors Churches attitude

Post by JH » Thu May 21, 2009 5:35 pm

It has been acknowledged that crimes were committed over a number of decades. (The names of the perpetrators have been censored.)

Why are these criminals exempt from prosecution?

Are the victims allowed to press charges?
BrianOR

Post by BrianOR » Thu May 21, 2009 7:59 pm

Sorry, yes, that was not a qoute.I don't even think Mary would make a statement that outrageous.Just a poor attempt at humour!
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu May 21, 2009 8:00 pm

I am not sure of all the details, but it seems that the victims have a very limited ability to do anything about this, a least in terms of getting some kind of redress from their abusers. The things that stand in their way are:

Bertie Ahern's Indemnity deal which caps the Church's liability at €128 million. That's out of an estimated €1.3 billion
I don't think that anyone yet has been able to ascertain exactly why it felt that the Catholic Church had to be protected in this way or to this extent.

The Commission also had to offer both immunity and anonymity to those it investigated: i.e. the data it has collected cannot be used in a court case; nor may the perpetrators be named. The Christian Brothers successfully sued the Commission to ensure this.

Both of these measures are to my mind astonishing in their disregard for the thousands who suffered abuse in Ireland.
I cannot understand how either concessions were even countenanced.
They also ensure that those who survived the abuse and torture must remember and revisit forgotten hells knowing that their abusers will most likely be allowed to slink away into the shadows unchallenged.

Kevin Mullan, head of Christian Brothers claims they sued at the time because "perhaps we had doubts about some of the allegations" but that now according to this report they will cooperate fully with any further investigation.

The Child Abuse Commission website can be found here where you can download the report.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu May 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Don't forget Yg the CCL has a long history which includes charging the Jews in Rome for the cost of their own forced conversions and even the wages of their Christian jailers.

In the next few weeks the victims will get sorrowful apologies, regretful statements, it won't happen again assurances (like it has before and before and before that again) and pious promises. But Church cash!.....What?.....don't be so materialistic you heathen whores!

Where are all our intrepid defenders of Catholicism like that Fowke f*&k and his Oliver Hardy side kick when this shit hits the fan?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu May 21, 2009 8:30 pm

The Catholic League are denouncing this as mere hysteria. President Bill Donohue (admittedly this man is a self-righteous loon) says that reports that say that priests raped and beat little boys are making a "wild and irresponsible claim". He goes on to elaborate that a lot of the rapists were actually Brothers not Priests. Because that makes all the difference in the world.

His take on the abuse: "Not nice, to be sure, but hardly draconian".
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
davef

Post by davef » Thu May 21, 2009 9:55 pm

I sent an expletive-filled message to their feedback page when I read that disgusting crock of shit posing as a press release from Billo. I couldn't help myself.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri May 22, 2009 10:50 am

Someone check my maths:

The indemnity deal: €128 million out of an estimated €1.3 billion

Assuming the USA billion (a thousand million) thats 0.0946 in fact.
Using the British million (a million million) the percent becomes insignificant nonsense.

Anyone prepared to put an estimate on the Vatican's accumulated wealth?
Time magazine reported it as between $10b - 15b but that was almost 50 years ago. Its somewhat revealing that these figures appear to be the most up to date numbers available.
Cork Skeptics
davef

Post by davef » Fri May 22, 2009 1:24 pm

128M as a percentage of (the US) 1.3billion is almost 10%. 128 times 10 gives 1,280, times a million gives 1,280,000,000 or 1.3B.

It's 1% of a British billion alright, but nobody uses that anymore.

Either way it's a horrible dereliction of their responsibilities.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri May 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Yeah, me and decimals are not on speaking terms... its just under 9.5 percent... still pitifully low. The Vatican will only learn a lesson if you hit them where it hurts, and frankly even if they paid the full 1.3b they still probably would barely notice it.

They must be laughing at Ireland, falling over itself in its haste to make it's citizens pay for their crimes.
Cork Skeptics
davef

Post by davef » Fri May 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Yeah, but while they were aware that what was going on was morally wrong, they didn't know it was a crime, per se, so it's only fair that they shouldn't have to pay out the full amount.