Anybody know what's happened to the Hitch?

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
neelo

Christopher Hitchens

Post by neelo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Hey guys, have been living on another olanet. Devastated about Christopher Hitchens, even when he's wrong he's exhilliarating. Top bloke!! Love his books and his acerbic contrarian wit. Long may he do battle with cancer!!
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Anybody know what's happened to the Hitch?

Post by aZerogodist » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Great (30min) interview on BBC where the Hitch talks about his cancer and about death:

Christopher Hitchens talks to Jeremy Paxman
Broadcast on Monday 29 November 2010
lumen christi

Post by lumen christi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:41 am

Ygern wrote:Things that have struck me the most about him in his most recent interviews and personal essays:

He is not feeling sorry for himself or trying to avoid the fact that his smoking and possibly drinking are the most likely cause of this.
He is remarkably gracious about the many prayers being said on his behalf, noting with a slightly mischievous glint that Sept 20th is Pray for Christopher Hitchens day.
He did remark rather dryly that he won't dissuade anyone from praying, but only if it makes them feel better.
He absolutely refutes that there will be any deathbed conversions, at least not if he is still in control of his own mind.

I'm struck by his quiet dignity in handling what must be a horror for his family and him. I'm also quite amazed at his patience with those unctuously announcing that they are praying for his conversion or at least that his soul is saved.

The comments I've seen from believers in response to his news range from the tediously inane to the grossly insulting; and I can't help but notice that there is an imbalance between what is acceptable or even condoned behaviour from a Christian and what would be regarded as aggressive, badgering and offensive behaviour from an atheist. Imagine an atheist taxing a Christian on hearing that he was dying to renounce Jesus and start imagining that there was no God or afterlife. Or that you hoped he would be giving up on his religion before the end so that he would die a death free from delusion. It wouldn't happen, no-one would be so crude or thoughtless. And yet the converse is not true. Atheists are expected to smile tolerantly and patiently and even be happy to hear Christians falling over themselves to announce prayers for salvation or conversion.
lumen christi

Post by lumen christi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:48 am

Sorry to see the guy suffer. I think he is wrong and his brother is right (if a little too right wing for my liking).

Genuine prayers for the guy.
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:55 am

lumen christi wrote:Genuine prayers for the guy.
Heh... I love the smell of oxymoron in the morning.
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:30 pm

lumen christi wrote:Sorry to see the guy suffer. I think he is wrong and his brother is right (if a little too right wing for my liking).

Hi dude and welcome to the forum.

I just wondered how often and when you say non "genuine prayers" (as you say it)... Mass? Before meals? Easter? I just wondered :)
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:08 pm

lumen christi wrote:
I'm sure your god would be more willing to intercede if you sacrificed a goat too.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:06 pm

and maybe a virgin - for luck.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.