Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Dublin Building Height Restrictions

Post by Dev » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:27 pm

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-b ... 66788.html
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 66975.html

No, I don't like this proposal.

Dublin would benefit from having taller buildings, most of the nicer ones along the docklands are five stories or higher. The replacement for Liberty Hall looks great and same with the proposal for U2 tower.

I'd rather Dublin end up more like New York than L.A.

It makes public transport far easier by encouraging a smaller more focused city as opposed to urban sprawl which just eats up land and other resources.

We should be building up not out.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Dublin Building Height Restrictions

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:24 pm

I love high buildings too, makes me feel at home. Rotterdam has a very nice sky line.

http://www.google.com/images?q=rotterda ... =en&tab=wi

I like all the different modern architecture.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:12 pm

you prefer imaginary white elephants?
test
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:28 pm

lostexpectation wrote:you prefer imaginary white elephants?
I'm not racist, don't care what color.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:06 am

the Construction Industry Federation has warned that the restriction would act as a disincentive to multinationals seeking to set up here.
yeah right :lol:
والقس هو مجنون
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:05 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 14559.html

Looks like it passed,
from now on there will be no buildings in Dublin taller than half the height of Liberty Hall unless there is a change in legislation.

Out of curiosity chemicals do you not think it would be a disincentive?

Lost, whats this about white elephants? I googled the term and got nothing.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:45 pm

Dev wrote:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 14559.html

Lost, whats this about white elephants? I googled the term and got nothing.
I thought I missed something, glad I'm not the only one.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Dev wrote: Out of curiosity chemicals do you not think it would be a disincentive?
I don't see the connection :shock:
why should a height restriction on buildings stop a multinational company setting up here ,it never stopped them in the past . complete non sequitur
والقس هو مجنون
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:03 pm

chemicals wrote:
Dev wrote: Out of curiosity chemicals do you not think it would be a disincentive?
I don't see the connection :shock:
why should a height restriction on buildings stop a multinational company setting up here ,it never stopped them in the past . complete non sequitur
Well the purpose of building up rather than out is because it's relatively cheaper when first floor land becomes insanely expensive.

Companies in Dublin already have buildings that are tall (Microsoft, BT, IFSC) and others are planned in the future. We are now telling other potential investors no, go somewhere else. Property cost is something that both Irish and foreign investors take very seriously.

There is only two justifications I can think of for this. It's either a design decision that we want Dublin to be a very low city (which I and many don't) or it's to encourage urban sprawl and make more money for developers.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:20 pm

On the whole I'm also against these sorts of regulations for a number of reasons, we have a similar thing in Cork too.

1. They are implemented unevenly. If a developer has enough cash or clout the permit will come through regardless.
2. Ireland is a tiny country, space is at a premium and even more so in the city centres. Up is the logical direction to go. I hate the unsightly sprawl of single bungalows along highways, it's just as much of an eyesore.
3. As others have mentioned, building up is often more cost effective.
4. You can create public spaces to enhance the city if space is saved by building vertically. This would do far more to make cities attractive than trying to maintain a uniform height. They could insist instead, that if a proposed building goes over a certain height it must be designed by an architect and not an engineer. That would raise the standard of the building's appearance far more.
5. There are very, very few architecturally sensitive areas left in the major cities that merit this sort of regulation. Most of them have already been ruined by crude steel & concrete boxes slapped together in the 60s - 90s era. Trying to regulate the height is pretty much bolting the barn door after the proverbial horses have fled.

6. Note to self - stop making lists.

Anyway, it's a largely pointless regulation that has zero benefit to the look of any Irish city, but it probably gives the people in Planning a whole lot more work to do.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics