Dublin Building Height Restrictions

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Dublin Building Height Restrictions

Post by Dev » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:45 am

chemicals wrote: what sort of business are we talking about here? that have a weird desire to have their shop/office on the twentieth floor ?
Tall buildings are mostly for officey companies rather than retailers e.g. finance, IT, legal, insurance, accounting, equity and stock trading.
chemicals wrote:you sure about that are you ? you trust Irish developers to do the right thing do you ?
I know trusting developers at the moment seems like saying that Hitler et al were actually a grand bunch of fellows albeit just misunderstood but yes. That is to say I trust them more than the government. Besides I've mentioned this new rule already is in the interest of the developers rather than punter joe.

The bubble was a mostly a regulation issue - there was never any real shortage of land in Ireland just planning permission and tax breaks and grants to build houses to counter the effects of the shortage created a skewed perception of what was really happening.

This is the same scenario again, mind on a far far smaller scale as the area in question is way more limited but if demand is there to go up and and building looks pretty - why create an artificial shortage?

I do think we should have good planning permission though. I really don't see this new proposal as being necessary.
chemicals wrote:snip
Is it fair to say you don't like tall buildings in general? When I think of cool cities - Paris, London, Tokyo, New York, Dubai, Hong Kong etc. Their skylines always come to mind.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:21 am

Dev wrote:Is it fair to say you don't like tall buildings in general? When I think of cool cities - Paris, London, Tokyo, New York, Dubai, Hong Kong etc. Their skylines always come to mind.
No Not as such ,but I think the historical centre of Dublin would actually lose something unique if we simply tried to turn it into a piss poor imitation of those cities mentioned above . I actually like the way Berlin has been restored despite the Cold war and WW2.

Dublin lost some lovely Georgian building in the 50's & 60's due to sheer tribal politics . and look at the crap they replaced it with .

nice contrast there
The decision in the late 1950s to demolish a row of Georgian houses in Kildare Place and replace them with a brick wall was greeted with jubilation by a republican minister at the time, Kevin Boland, who said they stood for everything he opposed.
oddly enough
The Society also restored the "Tailors' Hall" in Back Lane in the 1960s, which had been the venue for the republican convention in 1792; it was helped by members of Sinn Fein led by Maire Comerford whose republicanism was even more pronounced than Boland's.
on the trust worthiness of Irish developers
On the June bank holiday weekend, 1999, the art deco, grade 1 listed garage on Fenian Street was illegally demolished by contractors working for the O'Callaghan hotel group. A public outcry followed, and while developer Noel O'Callaghan claimed this was the reason why he reconstructed the Garage, he was in fact ordered by Dublin City Council on threat of a €1,000,000 fine and/or imprisonment. The reconstruction is far from accurate to the original.
A CHURCH that had been ‘saved’ from demolition was knocked down anyway early this morning.At 6am, residents near Croke Park woke to the sound of a bulldozer-type piece of machinery being driven into the front of the church.
http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city ... 99413.html
والقس هو مجنون
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Bik wrote:I probably do need tips on good restaurants though, the couple that I went to didn't impress me so I tended to keep to Chinese/Japanese/Pizza places etc after that. The food in Tiki bar is pretty good though, I can recommend the hot and spicy chicken soup! :D
Let me know and I tell you (a know all japanese restaurants in the area, tappenyaki rules!!) What I said though was that beautylays in the eye of the beholder but dull absolutly not!! I think that all architecture get a change like the KPN building near the white bridge (Dick from Peper :mrgreen: ) with the light that make animations. Brilliant.

Where in Blijdorp lives your friend? I used to live in the Nolensstraat in the corner (locals knew me as the guy with all the motorbikes) Maybe he knows me! Lived there for 13 years. Lovely area.

That U2 tower looks great IMO. I love buildings like that. I have to agree with chemicals on the front of the Irish developers though, don't trust them at all. But surely the fault lays with city planners who agree with certain plans and not with the developers.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:28 pm

chemicals wrote: No Not as such ,but I think the historical centre of Dublin would actually lose something unique if we simply tried to turn it into a piss poor imitation of those cities mentioned above . I actually like the way Berlin has been restored despite the Cold war and WW2.
This is by far your strongest point.

You seem a bit hesitant that being Irish we are going to fuck it up. Currently Dublin is nice in patches but we need to clean it up, mistakes have been made as you've highlighted - we can learn from them we aren't doomed to repeat them. Nobody is advocating knocking down Georgian Dublin either.

This new law won't necessarily protect this uniqueness that you haven't quite articulated - it just discriminates against tall buildings. Is this uniqueness accentuated by Dublin being a relatively low city?

When people think of a Dublin skyline I don't want them to think of this:
Attachments
lego_brick.jpg
lego_brick.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:33 pm

the property developers speculated until they missed their chance its their fault look at arnotts,they spent years running down abbey street and they have nothing for it they f'd it up for themselves, the island of highrise are still available to them
Last edited by lostexpectation on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
test
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:17 pm

Tulip1 wrote: Where in Blijdorp lives your friend? I used to live in the Nolensstraat in the corner (locals knew me as the guy with all the motorbikes) Maybe he knows me! Lived there for 13 years. Lovely area.
My friend doesn't live there anymore, he got married and moved to some small town in the country a couple of years ago. I wonder might you know him though, as he is into old motorbikes (I think mainly BSA types) and scooters (most Lambrettas).
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Gar

Post by Gar » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:13 am

I remember reading an article in new scientist about a year or two ago and it was all about green cities. The article said that there's an ideal size for buildings cities and I think it was around 6 storeys.. I was looking for the article there on their site but I can't find it at the moment..
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Bik wrote:
Tulip1 wrote: Where in Blijdorp lives your friend? I used to live in the Nolensstraat in the corner (locals knew me as the guy with all the motorbikes) Maybe he knows me! Lived there for 13 years. Lovely area.
My friend doesn't live there anymore, he got married and moved to some small town in the country a couple of years ago. I wonder might you know him though, as he is into old motorbikes (I think mainly BSA types) and scooters (most Lambrettas).
Is he called Menno? I left 5 years ago.

Does somebody know whu there are derlict properties in city center Dublin? They must be worth a lot of money just for the ground.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Tulip1 wrote: Is he called Menno? I left 5 years ago.
No, his name is Marco.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers