Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Comedian accused of blasphemy in Spain

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:40 am

Comedian accused of blasphemy in Spain
From the National Secular Society.

The Italian satirist Leo Bassi has been the subject of a complaint filed in the courts of the Spanish city of Valladolid by the State Association of Christian Lawyers accusing him blasphemy. Mr Bassi allegedly mocked the pope, the Catholic religion and Christian symbols during his act.

Mr Bassi was performing in the Auditorium of the University of Valladolid at a conference organised by the Republican Atheist group. The conference was entitled “Judeo-Christian roots of the West: an historical fraud to fight.”

“We think Leo Bassi may have committed a crime punishable under the Penal Code (section 525.1) as the offense and derision toward the beliefs of a religious denomination,” said William Garabito Efe, who made the complaint on behalf of the Association of Youth for Factual Information (Ajio). As well as Bassi, the complaint names Republican Ateneo, and the rector of the University of Valladolid, Mark Sexton.

The complainants say that Mr Bassi was dressed as Father Christmas as he “mocked the most prominent symbols and beliefs of the Christian faith” which they considered “slander and libel” that amounted discrimination on religious grounds that could incite hatred and violence.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Comedian accused of blasphemy in Spain

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:03 am

ok the world is officially gone mad
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
smellyoldgit

Post by smellyoldgit » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:03 am

I wonder if Tim Minchin ever plays in Spain?
I understand his latest Pontifical Ballad was most complimentary to the kiddy-diddling blood-drinkers.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:07 pm

Somehow I doubt the case will get any further than the one involving our own Special Nutter who wanted Dara O'Briain done on the same sort of thing last year.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Ygern wrote:Somehow I doubt the case will get any further than the one involving our own Special Nutter who wanted Dara O'Briain done on the same sort of thing last year.
I agree. The day we cant use certain topics such as religion as part of a comedy act is a sad day. I mean it sets itself up as a great resource for comedians. Sooooo much raw material to utilise right there.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken