Clergy had access to hospital lists

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Clergy had access to hospital lists

Post by Beebub » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:06 pm

I wasn't aware of this. I suppose it's a moot point now that they can no longer access it, however I'd like to somehow make sure that it's not a privalege they get back.

We get the local catholic parish envelope begging for money. I assume this means that given they assume we're in their 'parsih' that up to now they could have gained access to my hospital admissions records? This is astounding in this day and age.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 36288.html
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Clergy had access to hospital lists

Post by aZerogodist » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:41 pm

The Rev. Field said ''allowed patients a level of privacy''.
Rev. NOW they have privacy, if your suppose to know whose in hospital, god will send you a fax.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
Gadfly

Post by Gadfly » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Beebub wrote:I wasn't aware of this. I suppose it's a moot point now that they can no longer access it, however I'd like to somehow make sure that it's not a privalege they get back.

We get the local catholic parish envelope begging for money. I assume this means that given they assume we're in their 'parsih' that up to now they could have gained access to my hospital admissions records? This is astounding in this day and age.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 36288.html
Is that still going on? I remember it happening when I lived at home years ago. They'd know as well who wasn't paid up. Extortion.
"I do not believe in any religion. I will have nothing to do with immortality. We are miserable enough in this life without speculating upon another." Lord Byron.
oldrnwisr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by oldrnwisr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:40 am

I suppose it's a moot point now that they can no longer access it, however I'd like to somehow make sure that it's not a privalege they get back.
The question is how much damage was done while they had access to it? This system must have been like a shopping list for paedophile priests. My mother told me before that back in the 80s a priest called to see some sick children in Limerick Regional Hospital. He took one boy to get "a snack" and sometime after he brought him back the staff discovered that the priest had raped him. And yet, nothing was done about it as usual.
"Science doesn't know everything. Religion doesn't know anything." AronRa - WAC 2011
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:06 pm

I wish they did have access to my records last time I was in hospital. Maybe then they wouldn't have assumed by default that I'd want to be woken up to take communion every morning.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:41 pm

bipedalhumanoid wrote:I wish they did have access to my records last time I was in hospital. Maybe then they wouldn't have assumed by default that I'd want to be woken up to take communion every morning.
My wife was woken up after giving birth to our son, she was just asleep as well.... she was raging!
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:42 pm

There are approx 130 Ministers of the Eucharist working on a rota basis in Beaumont hospital, Dublin.

As they do not know who is Catholic or not they keep asking the same question every day as they have such disrespect for other religions and the non-religions that they cannot devise a system to ensure that they would not keep asking people over and over again, day after day.

They came into the ward every day and I ended up having to say out loud ‘I’m not Catholic’ which did nothing for my blood pressure.

On top of that a nurse said to me “pray to God for your operation tomorrow”. When I said that I had no religion she then said that I would “need Jesus for my operation tomorrow”.

The rest of the conversation I will leave to your imagination or maybe it was not conversation as the only one speaking was me. Got a formal apology in the end.