Gilmore is an Atheist

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 914
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:10 pm
Location: Dublin

Gilmore is an Atheist

Post by Dev » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:10 pm

chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Gilmore is an Atheist

Post by chemicals » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Dev wrote:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing26.html

I'm both surprised and not.
Great news
والقس هو مجنون
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 637
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:02 pm
Location: Baile Átha Cliath

Re: Gilmore is an Atheist

Post by Bik » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:16 pm

I'd prefer if he wasn't a stickie.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23 am

Re: Gilmore is an Atheist

Post by ctr » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:20 pm

He's not a sticky...He was but he's not.

A bit like I was Catholic but I'm not Catholic.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Rogan
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:58 am

Re: Gilmore is an Atheist

Post by Rogan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:01 am

That's great, it's always good to see people in positions of power coming out as Atheists.
Gadfly
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Gilmore is an Atheist

Post by Gadfly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised.
"I do not believe in any religion. I will have nothing to do with immortality. We are miserable enough in this life without speculating upon another." Lord Byron.
Mr Kequc
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:03 am
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Gilmore is an Atheist

Post by Mr Kequc » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Rogan wrote:That's great, it's always good to see people in positions of power coming out as Atheists.
Not that I disagree with you, but I am curious why?
Mirthomaniac
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Re: Gilmore is an Atheist

Post by Mirthomaniac » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Mr Kequc wrote:
Rogan wrote:That's great, it's always good to see people in positions of power coming out as Atheists.
Not that I disagree with you, but I am curious why?
I'm with Rogan on that. It's good to see because it indicates that reason, as we see it, is prevailing in our government on some level.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23 am

Re: Gilmore is an Atheist

Post by ctr » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:48 pm

When I vote I'm blind to a candidates religion (or lack thereof) it's their policies I am concerned about.

If the local Mormon's views were in tune with mine (S)he'd get a vote.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member
Posts: 1014
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Gilmore is an Atheist

Post by Beebub » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:47 am

ctr wrote:When I vote I'm blind to a candidates religion (or lack thereof) it's their policies I am concerned about.

If the local Mormon's views were in tune with mine (S)he'd get a vote.
That's all well and good. But look for example at the last Minister for Education. She is reportedly a member of Opus Dei. Either way, she was certainly on the side of the church when it came to education. Look at one of her predecessors, Michael Woods, who said his 'strong Catholic faith made him the most suitable person to negotiate the deal' (on the child abuse scandal). How did that work out?

Now look at our current Minister for Education, who is also openly atheist. How's he doing? Pretty good start, I'd have thought. While a Mormon may have similar views to you, you can be fairly certain, an atheist will have at least some views similar to you. It was for this reason that I campaigned for Ivana Bacik and had I been in his constituency, I'd certainly have voted for Ruairi Quinn.

Having said, that, I tend to be a Labour voter, so that makes my decision a bit easier. I'm fairly certain, for example, if my local Sinn Fein candidate (didn't have any this time as it happens) was openly atheist, I still wouldn't vote for him/her. However, if a local Labour candidate was openly and vocally religious, I'd probably not vote for them.
Post Reply