Conference in the news

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Conference in the news

Post by Beebub » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:38 am

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1099986
The piece starts at 31.50 approx. It's not a bad piece apart from the tone of Dobson who refers to 'Devout Atheists' with a hint of a sneer.

Great piece by Roisin Ingle in today's Irirsh Times Weekend section

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wee ... 66216.html
And another in the main section by Patsy McGarry

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 88221.html

Anyone seen any more? It might be nice to collate media coverage in one place.
BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Conference in the news

Post by BubbleWrap » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Beebub wrote:http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1099986
The piece starts at 31.50 approx. It's not a bad piece apart from the tone of Dobson who refers to 'Devout Atheists' with a hint of a sneer.
That's such a shame they only filmed the pre-meeting. It looks so few numbers.
I'm going to start a revolution... er... if that's ok with everyone?
LionelNashe

Post by LionelNashe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:16 am

Karen Coleman on Newstalk just gave it some time.
PolythenePam

Post by PolythenePam » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:29 pm

do you guys know if they are going to put the videos in Youtube?

I'd love to share it with some people!
PolythenePam

"Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under't" Macbeth
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Talking to one of the guys filming today and should be up mid week
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:20 am

There was a very intereting conversation between Dawkins and the fundies on the steps of the hotel on Saturday. Another took place today betweennd the fundies and PZ Meyers, ouside the hotel. Rather than commenting on it, are there those here who took videos of these interviews (of which I know there was at least one at each interview) who would post them here? Please?
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:07 am

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... ml?via=rel
World atheist convention chairman of irish group explains atheist 'arrogance'

THEISTS WERE arrogant “because we do not believe that the entire universe was created for our benefit”, Michael Nugent, chairman of Atheist Ireland told the convention.

They were arrogant because they did not believe “that the most powerful being ever created a universe of over 100 billion galaxies, each with over 100 billion stars like our sun, which existed for 14 billion years, and then picked one of the 100 billion galaxies and picked one of the 100 billion stars in that galaxy, and picked one planet revolving around that star and of the million species on that planet he picked one animal member of all those species and said: ‘I’ve really got to tell that guy to stop gathering sticks on the Sabbath’.”

Mr Nugent thanked delegates for the success of the convention, despite attempts to sabotage it by false e-mails saying it was called off. A man also falsely ordered in loads of pizzas and 11 bunches of flowers to the convention. Later the man inadvertently confirmed he had ordered the pizzas and flowers and would now be billed via the gardaí.

“It’s the sort of thing one gets used to in Ireland,” Mr Nugent said, and referred to those who, in 2009, saw “Their Lady” on a tree stump in Rathkeale, Co Limerick. He recalled a comment at the time that “if she looked like that it’s no wonder she was a virgin”.

He recalled how when an atheist woman died in Donegal recently there was nowhere to bury her except a municipal graveyard in Derry. When asked where in the graveyard she was buried, the reply was “the Protestant section”.

PATSY McGARRY
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:33 am

Beebub wrote:http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1099986
I look forward to seeing the tear in the corner of his eye later this year when he reports on the census figures for Religion in Ireland. It's going to rattle a few people.

The 2006 figures showed a 35% increase in the 'non-religious' on 2002 and that census was conducted before the release of The God Delusion, atheist.ie was in its infancy and Atheist Ireland didn't even exist.

We've already seen the edge taken from the smugness of people like John Waters and David Quinn in that time. It's been a huge 5 years for Atheism throughout the entire western world.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:50 am

And another from Patsy McGarry...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 71229.html

Although I don't agree with his assertion that among the delegates was 'a preponderance of young people in their 20s' and I wonder why he would include a line like this in a relatively short piece. Any thoughts as to why he would include that line? Particularly that it's not the case.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:54 am

Maybe he overheard me making a tounge in cheek joke about that. I was one of the only two people volunterring to drive speakers from the airport to the convention. I made a joke rather loudly to a couple of them that went something like "I have also noticed this weekend a very depressing demographic among atheists that very few of them seem to be able to drive.... a fact probably compounded by the fact that a huge number appear to be 18 to 20 year old students with computers and a penchant for internet forums".

I said it as a joke and it did get laughs from the intended targets and people around me... but maybe someone of a media persuasion over heard it and took it as fact :)