Conference in the news

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
bipedalhumanoid

Re: Conference in the news

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:36 am

Anyone else notice the total lack of coverage eminating from the Indo? It was newsworthy for RTE, the Irish Times, Newstalk et al... but not the Indo.
"The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact you will ever have to face. Don’t you ever get used to it." - Richard Dawkins... being shrill and offensive again I suppose.
BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by BubbleWrap » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:58 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:Anyone else notice the total lack of coverage eminating from the Indo? It was newsworthy for RTE, the Irish Times, Newstalk et al... but not the Indo.
Yep. Noticed that alright. I wonder why?
I'm going to start a revolution... er... if that's ok with everyone?
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Because they know no one here reads it (unless like me you get it free in your inbox at 8am every morning :wink: )
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:59 am

A couple of letters in today's Irish Times. More of the usual stuff. I have responded to the priest. Bloody Hitler & Stalin argument again :roll:

I wouldn't know where to start responding to Tom Greally, becasue I don't understand it. Can anyone explain what he's trying to say??

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index ... 4298573917
BubbleWrap
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by BubbleWrap » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Beebub wrote:I wouldn't know where to start responding to Tom Greally, becasue I don't understand it. Can anyone explain what he's trying to say??
He's saying that Roisin Ingle is ignorant. That there is no mass on a Good Friday, and Roisin says there is. If he is correct (I have no idea), then it's a shame Roisin didn't check first.

No, wait... Maybe that was the point of Roisin's story. Oh heck, I've no idea!
I'm going to start a revolution... er... if that's ok with everyone?
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:19 pm

BubbleWrap wrote:
Beebub wrote:I wouldn't know where to start responding to Tom Greally, becasue I don't understand it. Can anyone explain what he's trying to say??
He's saying that Roisin Ingle is ignorant. That there is no mass on a Good Friday, and Roisin says there is. If he is correct (I have no idea), then it's a shame Roisin didn't check first.

No, wait... Maybe that was the point of Roisin's story. Oh heck, I've no idea!
From memory, they do the stations of the cross on Good Friday. But surely that just backs up the woman's point even more. She said she went to Mass on Good Friday when she should have said she went to the Stations of the Cross. It just shows that she didn't even know what she was going to, she wasn't attending the church on Good Friday for the religious stuff, she went to keep her mammy happy.

and isn't just bloody minded pedantry that calls her on saying it was 'Mass' rather than 'the Stations'?? It doesn't detract in any way from the sentiment of the piece of of the woman quoted.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:42 am

Some great replies today in the IT including one from by collogue here in the South East. :wink:

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:45 am

ctr wrote:Some great replies today in the IT including one from by collogue here in the South East. :wink:

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/
+1.

Great letter from Barry. I particularly liked Pól Ó Cionnaith dismissal of Tom Greally saying that he 'fretted over what kind of service one attends on Good Friday'. It's the perfect word to have used.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Here's a rather silly, juvenile piece by Tom Whipple in the London Times. I posted and commented on it on the AI Facebook page. He came with preconcieved notions as to what to expect and instead of writing a piece on what actually happened and what he saw, he slotted in a few ibts and pieces to an article he had largely done before arrving.

It does him no service as a journalist.
Attachments
Times3.jpg
Times4.jpg
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 am

More good letters today; apart from the nitpicker on the immaculate conception. As a previous writer said, 'who cares'.

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index ... 4298690386