Somethingism The evolution of new Christianity?

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Somethingism The evolution of new Christianity?

Post by aZerogodist » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Dutch rethink Christianity for a doubtful world
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14417362

Not sure if this is a type of atheist-christianity as the many of the clergy are either agnostic or atheist.
"Personally I have no talent for believing in life after death," Mr Hendrikse says. "No, for me our life, our task, is before death."

Nor does Klaas Hendrikse believe that God exists at all as a supernatural thing.

"When it happens, it happens down to earth, between you and me, between people, that's where it can happen. God is not a being at all... it's a word for experience, or human experience."

Mr Hendrikse describes the Bible's account of Jesus's life as a mythological story about a man who may never have existed, even if it is a valuable source of wisdom about how to lead a good life.
Professor Hijme Stoeffels of the Free University in Amsterdam says it is in such concepts as love that people base their diffuse ideas of religion.

"In our society it's called 'somethingism'," he says. "There must be 'something' between heaven and earth, but to call it 'God', and even 'a personal God', for the majority of Dutch is a bridge too far.
It's a fairly long piece and well worth a read
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Somethingism The evolution of new Christianity?

Post by aiseiri47 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Hm; personally, I don't like this kind of fence-sitting. I mean, it's great that these people are less likely than their orthodox counterparts to act with self-righteous malice towards "sinners", but I don't understand why people will say they don't believe in God or Jesus but still cling to Christianity as a moral guide when the Bible is a minefield of misogyny and xenophobia complete with incest, slavery and stoning.
"I think 'Son of God' is a kind of title," she says. "I don't think he was a god or a half god. I think he was a man, but he was a special man because he was very good in living from out of love, from out of the spirit of God he found inside himself."
... This I just don't get. If she'd just said she thought of him as a moral teacher, I might be more sympathetic to the view. But she clearly buys into the Bible enough to accept the title "Son of God", but has decided for herself that it's more of a symbolic title than a literal one. Same willy-nilly cherry-picking Christianity as always. Believe the good stuff, reject the bad stuff, compromise the stuff you don't feel comfortable with.

This is just using religion as a security blanket. They don't like Christianity, or believe in it, but they're afraid to let go of it, so they mold it into something barely recognisable.

Some of these people are probably just trying to keep tradition in their life, which is understandable; I like Christmas trees and Easter eggs. And I could almost do Mass for the community (a nice atheist mass where we sing songs about evolution and have a homily about being considerate to other drivers on the road would be ideal.) But it seems to me there's a sector that is made up of people interpreting ancient scriptures for themselves, and I'm not sure there's anything so dangerous as someone who thinks they know what God wants them to do.