IT Letters Re UK Riots

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

IT Letters Re UK Riots

Post by GT » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:01 am

Sir, – I’ve had a sleepless night of worry over the recent rioting. It seems it has spread like a virus not only in London but Birmingham and Manchester.  My daughter has mentioned her fears even in such a beautiful city as Oxford.

We ask: “What can we do?” Leave it to the police – bring in the army – all to be considered perhaps but what else?  The answer may be too simple in many eyes – prayer.  Some will disregard this notion immediately; but there are many testimonials to the power of prayer around the world, too numerous to cite here.

What if at noon each day people paused and prayed for peace?  “Let us offer each other a sign of peace” is said at every Mass. Instead of this, what if we pause and concentrate on sending peace to the troubled souls who perpetuate this mindless violence causing fear, injury and in some instances death? We have nothing to lose and much to gain. – Yours, etc,

JEAN KAVANAGH,
Ballinsheen Court,
Blackrock,
Cork.
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: IT Letters Re UK Riots

Post by paolovf » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:41 am

I guess it's easier to write that letter from Cork than Manchester or Birmingham or London.

There are no atheists in foxholes
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Why didn't her carer take away the pen? She could poke herself in the eye with it or something.
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
Ryano
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ryano » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:28 pm

It's no surprise to see the religious jumping all over these riots as a means for justifying and analyzing the spectacle. On Sky news earlier a panel including Peter Hitchens and a 3 others including a faith based community worker sticking their respective oars in. Hitchens stated that when faith is gone you get plastic bullets and water cannon. The community worker said that this all happened because the youth have no faith! Damn right they lack faith - faith in imaginary friends, faith in the police, faith in the government! I think I have similar faith issues! I;m watching a sky channel (Revelation Channel 581) all answers in the bible as to why the riots are happening - simply Jesus is missing, innit bruv! Jesus was probably one of the 1500 arrests made over the past 72 hours!
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:33 am

People are capable of doing good and bad whether they have faith or not. Peter Hitchens is a clever man and can turn the argument in favour of religion quite easily. However, there are religious institutes up and down England and the chances are a large percentage of these people have gone through at least one in their lifetime. So if Peter is really concerned by a lack of faith then he should be looking towards these institutes as failures. In the same way that their government has failed them. Therefore I would think a new approach is required.

Is there anything to be said for another mass?