Vatican Plan Major Changes for Ireland

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Vatican Plan Major Changes for Ireland

Post by Dev » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:51 pm

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/va ... 64186.html

Basically they want to reduce the size of the Church to a more appropriate size.

"Dramatic" seems to be a generous word for what seems like administration changes.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Vatican Plan Major Changes for Ireland

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:27 pm

I think they fear losing control of the church in Ireland, this report from BBC-news in Mayo and an interview with Micheal Kelly from the Irish Catholic newspaper, who sugests a reformation.
Ireland's closeness to catholic church tested Video (2-3min)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14520712
Audio-clip 6min
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/ne ... 563609.stm

Here's an articule from Micheal Kelly's Anti-Catholicism in Ireland - the view from America
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm

aZerogodist wrote: sugests a reformation.[/url]
This wouldn't surprise me. I've had a few friends (<30years old) saying they want to continue with their Catholic faith but do not want to be associated with the RC Church. The BBC report is the first I've heard of the older generation's feelings towards the Church which seems fairly negative.

I know of two Catholic friends who are baptising their children into the Church of Ireland to separate themselves from the RC Church. It seems change is on the cards but it's hard to tell what form it will take.

Are Catholics going to just switch to another form of Christianity? Or will they look for some sort of reformation to preserve their beliefs outside of the rule of the RC Church? And if they succeed could this spread to other countries?
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:27 pm

paolovf.. I actually think many catholics attend church just for their religious fullfillment, but have no respect or real submission to the RC-church, it's just thats the local worship place, or were they went as children, they could just as easy attend CoI or a methodist church and get the same fullfillment. The RC dosn't have a patent on christianity, which many RC-christians tend not to realise.

From hearing what a few priests have said in the media, one idea was that a Bishop would be elected for a set term of 4/5 years, and then would divert back to being a normal priest after, another was that the congregation would have direct input into the running of their local, and the priest would basically be working for them.