Waterford TD is an Atheist

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Waterford TD is an Atheist

Post by ctr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:44 am

While I knew this to be true I did not think he had "outed" himself in public before.

"It comes after Waterford Independent TD John Halligan -- an avowed atheist -- sent out 800 alien-themed Christmas cards to people in Ireland and abroad."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 85034.html

While I'm not a supporter of John on this point we agree so well done!
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Waterford TD is an Atheist

Post by paolovf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:23 am

still kinda crap that they couldn't go without spending all that money on cards for one year.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:14 pm

It does raise the question, can TD's send cards for any occasion, birthdays, weddings etc... it does seem like a waste of public money.

Btw nice card.
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:55 pm

This puts me in mind of a non-sequitur, but then this forum does tend to a rich tradition of tangential anecdote.

Where I live these days (the heathen land to the east of you lot), the Royal Mail sells religious themed stamps at Christmas. Every second year. So this year it was the nativity, whereas last year we had Wallace & Gromit. So I got some old stamps depicting the anniversary of "The Origin of Species" and used those instead.

I wonder if anyone noticed? :mrgreen:
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Do many people over there believe in Grommit?
I sacrificed a ripe Wensleydale to him and my acne was cured.
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:09 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Do many people over there believe in Grommit?
I sacrificed a ripe Wensleydale to him and my acne was cured.
A wise propitiation indeed. Grommit has the virtue that his existence is provable. :)
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders