Atheists are Nazi's or communists

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Atheists are Nazi's or communists

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Hibernian College Teaches the Teachers of our children the following:
"Atheism seems to be fashionable in Ireland at present. It is seen as rational, progressive and compassionate. But above all, it is "in", not to mention convenient. What bothers very few of its latter-day exponents is the fact that atheist humanism produced the worst horrors history has ever witnessed, namely Nazism, Fascism and Marxism, the latter alone responsible for some 100 million lives, according to The Black Book written by French ex-Marxists. Atheism is not a benign force in history".
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2056553324

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/02/20/lit ... elievable/
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Atheists are Nazi's or communists

Post by Tulip1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:03 pm

A few people wrote to the minister and the college. I got the following responses:

Minister:
Thank you for your recent email in relation to Hibernia College exam.

The Graduate Diploma in Primary Education offered by Hibernia College has been recognised for the purpose of qualification as a primary teacher for almost 10 years. Hibernia College is a privately-owned institution providing a privately-run course, which is not funded by the Department. Both the content of the course and any related exams are a matter for the College in the first instance. As the Teaching Council is the statutory body empowered to review and professionally accredit such programmes of initial teacher education, the issue you raised has been brought to its attention.

I hope this information is of assistance to you.

And from the College:
Thank you for contacting Hibernia College with your concerns. Firstly, I would like to state that Hibernia College embraces an ethos and culture of inclusion and respect for diversity in all aspects of its work, and our student teachers and graduates teach in a wide range of schools; schools that include all faiths and other ethical programmes.

In relation to the specific points currently being discussed on various online forums, it is important to note the following:

· The multiple choice questions mentioned are part of a broader examination process which includes a written exam. In this written exam students are encouraged to discuss and debate the various points being examined. Students are not assessed on their acceptance of the course content, but rather their ability to discuss, debate and critique this material.
· The content of all our courses is presented to students in a way that encourages debate, critical discussion and analysis. Students attend live online tutorials and onsite workshops and are expected to contribute to tutor led discussion forums. All aspects of the religious education content are open to critique and healthy debate and students are encouraged to express their views.
· All our programmes are reviewed on an ongoing basis. This includes seeking the contribution of various relevant stakeholders. We are currently in the process of creating an advisory group representing the wide spectrum of belief systems in Ireland today to ensure that our course content continues to reflect the diversity of beliefs represented in our society. We look forward to taking advice from this board as with all our advisory boards.

Thank you again for contacting me with your concerns.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:47 pm

The response sounds like a bit of a cop out.

If they are marked on the MCQ then I don't know how it can be ethical to give choice answers that are in any way bigoted or discriminatory.

If the MCQ section is simply set up to provoke the student before they carry out the written section where their "ability to discuss, debate and critique this material" is examined, then I think that's just messed up.

Either way, I can't see an argument that defends them.
Marks
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Marks » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Hibernia College must think we are stupid if that is the reply they gave to various people.

How teachers are trained is part of a human rights framework as education is a human right. The OSCE (Ireland is chair of the OSCE this year) have produced Guidelines called the Toledo Guiding Principles which set out framework for teacher training. This framework is based on human rights and those teaching notes that are distributed by Hibernia are not in compliance with this framework.

The Holy See is the only State that has rejected the Toledo Guiding Principles. The reasons why they rejected them are in those teaching notes from Hibernia College. It is obvious that Hibernia College has never heard of the Toledo Guiding Principles and know absolutely nothing about basic human rights if they believe that those teaching notes respect diversity and are inclusive.

http://www.osce.org/odihr/29154
“a human rights framework is the best guarantee for the development of a fair and balanced approach to teaching about religions and beliefs. It is also a powerful tool for combating negative stereotypes and discriminatory practices. A commitment to freedom of religion or belief and sensitivity to issues relating to human rights education and education for mutual respect and understanding should be a prerequisite for all future teachers of religion and beliefs. Such commitments should be strengthened during their pre-service and in-service education.”

It looks like I am going to be very busy over the next week.
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:37 am

Atheist Ireland has today sent the following letter about this issue to Hibernia College, the Minister for Education, the Higher Education and Training Awards Council; the Teaching Council; the Irish National Teachers Organisation; the Union of Students in Ireland; and selected politicians with an interest or responsibility in this area.

See full letter here.

Atheist Ireland is requesting that the untrue statements and defamatory allegations be immediately removed from the course notes and examinations, and then that the Religion module be entirely revised so that it teaches students about religion in an objective, critical and pluralistic manner. We have offered to assist in this by providing accurate information about atheism and atheists.

Jane and I have already raised the matter with two Council of Europe delegations who are in Dublin this week monitoring Ireland’s record in protecting human rights. They are the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI), and the Advisory Committee for the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities (FCNM).
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:05 pm

It's shocking stuff for a supposedly secular teacher training college. Wonder what the catholic teacher training schools are taught about atheist and humanist.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:39 pm

mkaobrih wrote:It's shocking stuff for a supposedly secular teacher training college. Wonder what the catholic teacher training schools are taught about atheist and humanist.
Probably that atheists put puppies in ovens and eat kitten sandwiches.

I read this on reddit and was very shocked. I would expect something like this to be an off hand comment from a teenager on the internet not an didactic institution.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:49 pm

some of the comments on this are hilarious :D

http://www.thejournal.ie/atheists-criti ... 4-Feb2012/
والقس هو مجنون
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Dev wrote: put puppies in ovens and eat kitten sandwiches.
mmmmm kitten on rye !!

I have good recipes for those if any one is interested ,my roasted babies barbecue sauce is to die for :D
والقس هو مجنون
tevion5

Post by tevion5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm a 16 year old raised in a Catholic family . I'm an atheist and I even I can clearly see whats wrong with indoctrinating children from birth. This is a tactic only employed by those who's conclusions are clearly not reachable through rational thought, and therefore require dogma to be forced onto potential believers i.e. children of religious parents. This distorts they're views and fools them into thinking that they are being open minded. Where have we seen these methods used before? Nazi germany and many other states and organisations that have employed propaganda as a means of effective "brainwashing". Why dosent everybody see that as clear as the sky?
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins