Atheists are Nazi's or communists

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Atheists are Nazi's or communists

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:00 pm

welcome to the forum tevion5
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Dr Raskolnikov
Location: "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was "word up biatch""

Post by Dr Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:04 am

Zombie arguments again. :roll:

Despite some comments in the linked journal.ie, active campaigning against this sort of thing is just what AI is for.
Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins the movie by telling you how it ends. Well, I say there are some things we don't want to know. Important things. - Ned Flanders
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Jane Donnelly and I will be meeting with Hibernia College on Friday to discuss the content of their religion course.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:08 pm

That is great news! I hope they change the teaching material
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Bik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Bik » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:00 pm

MichaelNugent wrote:Jane Donnelly and I will be meeting with Hibernia College on Friday to discuss the content of their religion course.
You might direct them towards this site for course material on Hitlers atheism :mrgreen:

http://www.popeorhitler.com
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." Superintendent Chalmers
canasta42

Post by canasta42 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:09 am

I hope they change the course material and Vincent Twomey.

It's revealing to see from the Hibernia course material what he really thinks about atheists and compare it with his articles in the Irish Times.

C.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 am

mmm maybe that is why the Irish Times did not publish. Maybe we should inform them as well.
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by MichaelNugent » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Atheist Ireland today met with Hibernia College to discuss the course notes that made untrue statements about atheism and atheists. The meeting was very productive. The relevant course notes have been removed. I am preparing an initial one-hour introductory lesson for Hibernia College on atheism and nonreligious ethics. After that, Atheist Ireland will discuss with Hibernia College how we can make a more comprehensive contribution towards developing a more pluralist religion and ethics curriculum. Hibernia College will reassure students about its existing commitment to encourage them to give feedback about any concerns they have about the course.

Here is a more complete report of the meeting:

Atheist Ireland chairperson Michael Nugent and Education Policy Officer Jane Donnelly met today with Dr. Nicholas Breakwell, Hibernia College’s VP for Academic Affairs and Knowledge Management and Dr. Siobhan Cahillane-McGovern, Hibernia College’s Course Director for its Higher Diploma in Arts in Primary Education.

The meeting was very productive. Atheist Ireland is very happy with Hibernia College’s commitment to developing a pluralist curriculum and we will be working with Hibernia College to assist them in this outcome.

Hibernia College has explained to us the context in which the religious education element of its course has evolved. We are happy that Hibernia College did not intentionally include the sections that we found to be inaccurate about atheism and atheists.

Hibernia College has removed the sections of the course notes that we have raised concerns about.

Michael Nugent will initially prepare a one-hour introductory lesson for Hibernia College on atheism and nonreligious ethics, in conjunction with the College’s technological and presentation team.

After that, we will discuss with Hibernia College how we can make a more comprehensive contribution towards developing a more pluralist religion and ethics curriculum, that is consistent with the human right of all students to freedom of conscience regardless of their religious or nonreligious beliefs.

Hibernia College will continue to offer, as a private business institution, whatever courses and qualifications its students require in order to be able to work as primary teachers in Ireland.

The Higher Diploma in Arts in Primary Education has a religious curriculum module that covers what the State requires for a teacher to to teach religion in any primary school, and a module that covers what the Roman Catholic church requires for a teacher to teach in Roman Catholic schools. Hibernia College will review these existing two modules to ensure that the curriculum module contains everything as required by the primary school curriculum.

In the medium term, Hibernia College will examine offering two separate qualifications, with the State curriculum requirements for teaching religion in any primary school remaining part of its overall Higher Diploma in Arts in Primary Education, and the Roman Catholic Church requirements for teaching in Roman Catholic schools being offered as a separate qualification.

Hibernia College will reassure students about its existing commitment to encourage them to give feedback about any concerns they have about the course.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Well done to the student who put it on Boards.ie, all the people that send emails and of course to Jane and Michael!!!

What a great result.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:04 am

result ! well done all involved :D
والقس هو مجنون