Atheists are Nazi's or communists

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Atheists are Nazi's or communists

Post by Feardorcha » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Catholic logic: A dog has four legs; there are four legs on a cat. Therefore a dog is a cat.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aiseiri47 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:15 pm

The majority of people in the Western World are Christian. Why would they want to believe that one of the most universally hated people in the history of the world was not only one of them, but motivated by Christian beliefs? People believe what they want to believe. They're not going to go looking for evidence to convince them otherwise.
ptferg
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ptferg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:22 pm

aiseiri47 wrote:They're not going to go looking for evidence to convince them otherwise.
Unfortunately true, hence why I wrote this http://tiny.cc/MEsf2b, in the vain hope some Christians might just read it. Have had fun sending it to some of my Christian friends however.
http://www.humanisticus.com/ My musings about religion, Atheism, secularism, Humanism etc.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:41 pm

paolovf wrote:If the MCQ section is simply set up to provoke the student before they carry out the written section where their "ability to discuss, debate and critique this material" is examined, then I think that's just messed up.
Listening to the discussion on Newstalk I think that Vincent Twomey confirmed, for me, that sections of the course he devised is deranged. He claims that the sections flagged are taken out of context and that his goal was to get students to think for themselves. I'm sorry but that is just such a poor approach to education.

If that's what he wants to do, present a provocative statement and get the students to discuss. Presenting any sort of defamatory and erroneous information, in whatever context, is bad practice.

A big part of an engineering course is to educate the student to think for themselves. That is not achieved by forcing false information upon them.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:54 am

I was really shocked at almost everything Vincent said. There is certainly no denying he was the author anyhow.