Dawkins and the bible plan

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Idle-Emma

Dawkins and the bible plan

Post by Idle-Emma » Sat May 26, 2012 12:41 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... sfeed=true

Not Irish news, but thought it would be worth bring up anyway, the idea of providing bibles for schools and teaching the influence of the bible on human history and the english language. People are suprised that Dawkins is supporting the plan, the article even says "it sounds like one of the most unlikely alliances of recent years", but it's not really. If you've ever read The God Delusion, he makes the point quite clearly that people should study the bible as a piece of literature.
ptferg
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Dawkins and the bible plan

Post by ptferg » Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 pm

I think it's a good idea, I have quite a few Catholic friends who have never read the bible and are shocked when I tell them much of the content, purely due to the fact they only hear the nice bits which are rehashed every year. For a nation which is supposedly so Catholic, the ignorance regarding the bible is quite glaring. However, if the plan was to go ahead the class should be taught by people who are well versed in comparative literature and comparative mythology; also knowledge of at least Latin, and possibly Greek and Hebrew too would be advantageous, although finding secondary school teachers with that kind of knowledge would be difficult but the exercise would be fruitless without it.
http://www.humanisticus.com/ My musings about religion, Atheism, secularism, Humanism etc.
Idle-Emma

Post by Idle-Emma » Sun May 27, 2012 12:19 am

Ya, I mean here, in a country that is on paper at least, mostly catholic, and whose schools are generally run by religious groups, people know very little about the bible. Most schools have religion classes. Mine were laregly spent watching incredibly old videos of anything that could have had a religious theme and I think those religion classes (I did have three a week - 2 hours) would have been better off actually learning about the contents of the bible and how it has shaped so many countries and faiths.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sun May 27, 2012 11:26 am

I can't see any benefit to it, fair enough to have a copy in the library for reference. But as to the past two thousand years and the effect by bible' adherents on Human history, is not contained within the bible, that would be another book.

Maybe a short sms-text version of the bible would prob be better, & easier to read even though I don't know much text-speak, still would understand it more that bible-speak. I tried to read the new testiment when I was 12 and realised it was a load of nonsence, so in that regard it could have the same effect on more people.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
HarryO'Criosna

Post by HarryO'Criosna » Mon May 28, 2012 12:54 pm

I always thought we have a strange relationship with the bible in this country...as said earlier a surprisingly small number of people have actually read it considering how many people claim to be religious. My parents were extremely devout catholics and while there was a bible in teh house it would never have come out of the cupboard...they would have viewed bible-reading as something that members of born-again cults or whatever would do. Think they got it as a wedding present (what are friends for?) and never took it out of teh box. I've often wondered if this is a deliberate ploy by the RCC where its easier to get your followers to just do as you say rather than encourage them to study the supposed source material on the off-chance they read it and say "hang on, this is a pile of shite...nicely written in parts and one or two good yarns, but mainly shite". Even in school (christian beaters, sorry I mean brothers and then jesuits) we were never once told to have even a glance at the thing. One of the things I've found striking is that the non-religious in Ireland appear to be far more likely to have read the bible than those who supposedly live their lives by it.
Idle-Emma

Post by Idle-Emma » Mon May 28, 2012 5:27 pm

aZerogodist wrote: Maybe a short sms-text version of the bible would prob be better, & easier to read even though I don't know much text-speak, still would understand it more that bible-speak. I tried to read the new testiment when I was 12 and realised it was a load of nonsence, so in that regard it could have the same effect on more people.
An sms text version, I'd understand that less than bible language XD
umbauk
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by umbauk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:32 am

I like the idea of the bible by text:

GD MD EARTH BT WS NSTY AFTR SMN ATE HS APPL. 4K YRS LTR SNDS ONLY SN 2 EARTH VIA MRRIED VRGN. MKS BRED N WIN. WRKS ON A SUN WHCH MAK JWS MAD. CRCFY HM (LTRLLY). CMS BCK 2 SAY "NO WRRIES".
Idle-Emma

Post by Idle-Emma » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 pm

umbauk wrote:I like the idea of the bible by text:

GD MD EARTH BT WS NSTY AFTR SMN ATE HS APPL. 4K YRS LTR SNDS ONLY SN 2 EARTH VIA MRRIED VRGN. MKS BRED N WIN. WRKS ON A SUN WHCH MAK JWS MAD. CRCFY HM (LTRLLY). CMS BCK 2 SAY "NO WRRIES".
Yup. Foreign language to me. I do feel old not being able to understand text talk...and I'm only 19 XD
Explaining the bible through tweets would be awesome. Summarise each story in 160 characters. That would be fun to read.
james7300

Post by james7300 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:00 pm

I agree in theory with what Dawkins is saying. Yes it is a cornerstone of western civilisation and it should be known to school children.

However, he can't go about lambasting religion then saying everyone should read the bible.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:06 pm

james7300 wrote:I agree in theory with what Dawkins is saying. Yes it is a cornerstone of western civilisation and it should be known to school children.

However, he can't go about lambasting religion then saying everyone should read the bible.
Of course he can! That's his very point. He lambastes religion and rightly so. He then challenges people to actaully read the Bible because so many christians haven't. They cherry pick the nice bits that they're told about and learn in school/ mass and disregard the nasty bits that we no longer deem acceptable. If some christians actually knew about what they claim to believe in they may actually change their minds. By reading the Bible you'll see it's full of awful nasty stuff and not just the Old Testament.

Besides, reading the Bible gives you a greater understanding of history, literature, art, politics so long as you take it as a reference book and not a rule book to live you life by.