Dawkins and the bible plan

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
canasta42

Re: Dawkins and the bible plan

Post by canasta42 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:39 pm

The history of the bible is interesting, but, as aZ said, that would be another book. Doesn't the bible date from the Council of Constantine or someone, when they threw out even worse bits than they left in?

I always thought that the reason we Irish (and possibly Catholics in general) didn't read the bible was because (until Vat. II) the clergy reckoned it was safer in Latin and best for them, only, to interpret. Wasn't it the protestants who caused a stir by wanting a vulgate bible?

Open to correction on all this, but it's an interesting topic. Dawkins has said more than once that it's difficult to appreciate literature without some knowledge of the bible, but I think that's English literature he means. From Shakespeare to P.G. Wodehouse, it's peppered with biblical references which probably sail over the heads of many of our younger generation.

C.
yellowfish
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Dawkins and the bible plan

Post by yellowfish » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:57 am

I think an actual fair and impartial study of the Bible along with other historical works and ancient writings would be a great way for young people to study the history of human culture, obviously along with knowledge of actual historical facts.
I also think it would be so dangerous to religion that it will never be allowed in religiously controlled schools.