Alcoholic Atheists Anonymous

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Alcoholic Atheists Anonymous

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:29 pm

Intriguing piece from The Examiner about an alcoholics organisation set up in Ireland by Dennis Stefan.
http://www.liferingcork.com/2011/11/lif ... -says.html

"He was attracted by its practical structure — it was organised and used proven methods from cognitive behavioural therapy and reality/choice therapy, plus he liked its philosophy, which is based around the tenets of sobriety, secularism and self-help. "The secular nature of LifeRing is quite different to that of the traditional 12-step programme," he says. It’s not an atheist programme — it simply works on the principle that members can empower themselves: We have choice in our lives and we can learn to make better choices," he says."

I have known several members of AA and a good many were turned on to Jesus. I wonder if it is part of that organisation's method of operation. Personally, I never bothered to argue with them as I felt that whatever works for them is better than the alternative.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Alcoholic Atheists Anonymous

Post by aZerogodist » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks uncle F for posting this.

I've had an addiction problem in the past, though my consellor believed in god, we worked around the higher-power issue, myself seeing Humanity n' family as a higher power.