New Pope good/bad for Atheism,what do you think?

Commentary on and links to religion or atheism in the media
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

New Pope good/bad for Atheism,what do you think?

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:29 pm

To me, sounds like one of the old guard, much the same as the last one. So good for rational thinkers.
I'm kind of supprised, an American Irish pope would have hit two targets:
1. The American religion market & being a superpower & it's cultural influence worldwide, big money.
2. Ireland (ok were not the center of the world) but in the past has been viewed as a catholic stronghold, also keeping a link to europe.

So I think this will enable many Irish catholics to re-evaluate their obedience and views of the Roman-church with indifference to their local Irish church.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
canasta42

Re: New Pope good/bad for Atheism,what do you think?

Post by canasta42 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:56 am

I'm not really interested in the pope, but I think it's a pity Benny resigned. He was a great asset to our cause: he kept dropping clangers and seemed to want to drag the church back to the 14th Century. The one about the donkey in the crib (or not in the crib) was priceless. I think he was instrumental in alienating many from the church.

It's fun, and enlightening, to dip into his books every now and then too. It's amazing what piffle manages to pass itself off as learned theological discourse. He is a master of it - piffle, I mean.

It's a measure of how far the church has come from its (deluded) roots when the new guy is being acclaimed: "He lives in an apartment!". "He cooks his own food, (badly)!". "He gets the bus or walks!". ....eh, yeah? So what? For a big thrill, on a special occasion, JC rode on a donkey (supposedly). Although I suppose, seeing as the other guy takes a helicopter when he wants to go the 20 minutes spin over to Castelgandolfo.... he does provide a contrast. Shame. Benny was great fun.
C.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: New Pope good/bad for Atheism,what do you think?

Post by Dev » Thu May 23, 2013 9:19 am

"To me, sounds like one of the old guard, much the same as the last one."

I don't think this could be further wrong. The new pope is doing a far better job in terms of positively representing the Church to the world and this is not good for promoting secularism over theism. The scandals humbled the Church from extraordinarily arrogant heights.

Headlines like "Church must help the poorest, not dissect theology" and "Pope Francis says atheists can be good" are a far cry from the bold print we saw above pictures of Benny.