Lets all go to the pub

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
Pazma

Lets all go to the pub

Post by Pazma » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:08 pm

Today is 'Good Friday' lets all go to the pub to celebrate Jesus dying for our 'sins'

Oh, that's right, we can't because this stupid a** county is stuck in the Middle Ages. :oops:

I am so pi**ed off right now, seriously, I need anger management or something. :x
sharon

Post by sharon » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:42 pm

I drove to the supermarket this morning, listening to a radio debate about this very issue. I was worried that since the pubs are closed, I might not be able to buy wine in the shop either. :shock:

But I was, phew.
Pazma

Post by Pazma » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:40 pm

sharon wrote:I was worried that since the pubs are closed, I might not be able to buy wine in the shop either. :shock:

But I was, phew.
Really? I thought that it was an outright ban on the sale of alcohol. That must be pretty crappy for the pub owners though, they're the only business who lose money today and on one of their busiest days too, a Friday. Not to mention those that work in pubs and need the hours, they're out of money too. Unless it's a paid holiday for them but I doubt most pubs pay people today for not working.
I honestly don't know why this law is still enforced, it's really not fair on pub landlords. If I owned a pub I'd probably open my doors to regulars in private. Unfortunately I don't.
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:03 pm

One devotee asked me why should pubs be open.
The question is why should they be closed.
If you are a follower of a particular superstition which dictates you don't drink on a particular day that's your business.

It say a lot for the lack of faith in Faith that such things need to be imposed.

Imagine trying to start Catholicism today without the 1700 year bedding in period?

Eh we think the Pubs should all be closed on Friday for everybody becasue we believe we are still being stalked by a suicidal Jewish zombie apprentice carpenter who is alleged to have lived about two thousand years ago and died and then came back to life again....

......F*&K OFF
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
ravenflag

Post by ravenflag » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:43 pm

FXR wrote:
Eh we think the Pubs should all be closed on Friday for everybody becasue we believe we are still being stalked by a suicidal Jewish zombie apprentice carpenter who is alleged to have lived about two thousand years ago and died and then came back to life again....

.....F*&K OFF
Sing it sister :lol:
It always pisses me off that a bunch of two faced hypocrites can still dictate when i can go the pub, surley thats up to my wife :cry:
By all means lets be open minded,but not so open minded that our brains fall out.
Richard Dawkins
Neesik

Post by Neesik » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:26 pm

I really feel for you people, really, it's just business as usual here today, the bairns are at school, the pubs are open, the shops are open, it's just a normal friday :D And monday will be exactly the same, except the banks will be closed (it's a UK "bank" holiday) Other than the banks, it will be just a normal monday, Thank god for creating the Shetland Isles :D My thoughts are with you all, have what fun you can, and enjoy.
Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:16 pm

ravenflag wrote: Sing it sister :lol:
It always pisses me off that a bunch of two faced hypocrites can still dictate when i can go the pub, surley thats up to my wife :cry:
Last night talking to the taxi man I told him I had the beer already in stock for later. He said "Ah for after midnight then". "No" says I "I don't actually drink much (I lied) but I will today, if religious people don't want to drink they have no right to close the pubs to everybody else". Then I got the "sure its only two days of the year, christmas and good (sic) friday". So I asked him if when he swallowed a bit of wafer in the chruch did he actually think he was eating somebody. He started grinning and said "sure no really believes that". "Well" sez I "some people do and thats why they close the pubs".
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
paulamcnc

Post by paulamcnc » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:38 pm

The taxi guy falls into the majority mindset of 'modern' Ireland. after all, why think, when you can just believe, eh?

A few years ago here in Wicklow we had a radio station called the Christian channel or Christian Family radio, or something of that ilk, and I know people who tuned in solely on the basis of the word Christian in the title. They could have played nothing but Norweigan Death metal, and the drones would have believed that it was good wholesome fare, because it was 'christian'.

The majority of people waste no time questioning their ingrained attitudes. They might have to admit they're wrong.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:04 pm

plenty of pubs open unofficially, the irish solution to probs
test
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:07 pm

lostexpectation wrote:plenty of pubs open unofficially, the irish solution to probs
I've also found that restaurants, the Chinese ones at least, will happily sell you wine with your meal. It must seem a bit mystifiying to them. A country where no one objects to the pubs being closed while at the same the population will do anything just to get a drink that same day.