Scientologists protest at Ahern talks 'snub'

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:54 pm

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 24944.html
TAOISEACH Bertie Ahern has angered the Church of Scientology by "snubbing" it in the official church-state dialogue process.

As part of his attempt to combat "aggressive secularism" in Irish society, he issued invitations to Catholic bishops, the Church of Ireland, the Jewish Chief Rabbi and Muslim leaders to take part in multi-faith talks.

A spokesman for Mr Ahern wrote back in March last year to say that the letter would be brought to his attention -- but there was no further communication with the church.

Mr Ahern set up the church-state dialogue process after a highly publicised speech in 2005, in which he condemned "aggressive secularism" for marginalising the role of religion in society. He invited the leaders of 15 Christian churches as well as Jews, Muslims, Baha'is and humanists to Dublin Castle for the launch last year.

don't call us we'll call you.

he snubbed the pagans as well, i think they've got much more of right to be here seeing there's a history of paganism in Ireland as opposed to scientology.

very strange article,i don't hold out much hope of secularist or humanist being listened to but I don't think the purpose of the meetings is to combat aggressive secularism. its to secure the role of religion in society but a think Michael Brennan stretches it a bit, I think.
test
garlandgreen

Post by garlandgreen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:23 pm

Brilliant. Once you you start giving Religion an official platform every dog & pony show will want in. They should have seen this coming. I actually hope they get in. Ahern deserves to have such people foisted upon him. Whats he going to say? That he's afraid they'll jump on the sofas.

I'm actually not too worried about this body. It just seems like a sop that is being thrown to the religious to make them feel relevant. Fianna Fail will just do what they want to do regardless.

As for it's stated aim I'll take aggresive secularists over the compulsive bullshitter that invented the term any day
Last edited by garlandgreen on Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:52 pm

The Scientologist should be included. Why not? If ther's one thing that will bring attention to luantics its the luantic in the yellow suit. It would say more about what the CCL is to put it in with a group of people who believe in aliens just like they do themselves. I think Tom Cruise should be invited here on a Papal visit.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
garlandgreen

Post by garlandgreen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:13 am

FXR wrote:The Scientologist should be included. Why not? If ther's one thing that will bring attention to luantics its the luantic in the yellow suit. It would say more about what the CCL is to put it in with a group of people who believe in aliens just like they do themselves. I think Tom Cruise should be invited here on a Papal visit.
Thats a great idea. I think lstening to Cruise babbling about SPs, the Galactic Lord Xenu and the Galactic Confederacy will be a fitting punishment for him. A bullshitter among bullshitters. To Xenu with him and all his Religious friends
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:14 pm

FXR wrote:The Scientologist should be included. Why not? If ther's one thing that will bring attention to luantics its the luantic in the yellow suit. It would say more about what the CCL is to put it in with a group of people who believe in aliens just like they do themselves. I think Tom Cruise should be invited here on a Papal visit.
The Scientologists charge cash for their "religion"...
I don't mean donations, I mean actual price tags.

Bertie snubbing them is a good thing.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:08 pm

CelticAtheist wrote:
The Scientologists charge cash for their "religion"...
I don't mean donations, I mean actual price tags.

Bertie snubbing them is a good thing.
I disagree. It would be advantageous to have all the lunatic religions there for reasons already given by others.

It will demonstrate to people why secularism is the only way to have a government that represents all of its constituents. The more conflicting views the better.