Return of the Jedi: Eucharistic Congress 2012

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
Alexis

Return of the Jedi: Eucharistic Congress 2012

Post by Alexis » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:00 pm

What do you people think of the planned revisiting of the 'Eucharistic Congress' in Dublin in 2012?

The last time this mega event took place in Ireland was in Dublin in 1932.

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/The_31st_Inte ... ublin_1932
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:14 pm

The altar that was (I think) erected on O'Connell bridge for the first shebang can now be seen by anyone attending Cappagh Hospital in Finglas West. I tried to get into it but a car pulled up.....
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Alexis

Post by Alexis » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:47 pm

FXR wrote:The altar that was (I think) erected on O'Connell bridge for the first shebang can now be seen by anyone attending Cappagh Hospital in Finglas West. I tried to get into it but a car pulled up.....
FXR, I don't know why, but your post made me laugh. But, what exactly do you mean ... Cappagh Hospital and Finglas West :roll:

Meantime, I was just curious as to how the Irish people today view a resurrection of the "Eucharistic Congress" as played out to the masses in 1932? I know my own now-dead mother would be just as ecstatic now as she was back then, when she was a teenager. She never forgot, or got-over, her Grand Day Out! PS. She died in the arms of the "loving" clerics . In other words, she finally met her Makers :wink:
FXR

Post by FXR » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:51 am

Alexis wrote:
FXR, I don't know why, but your post made me laugh. But, what exactly do you mean ... Cappagh Hospital and Finglas West :roll:
The actual structure that was erected on O'Connell bridge is now in the grounds of Cappagh Hospital. If you look at the hospital coming in the driveway it's in the grounds to the left.
Alexis wrote:Meantime, I was just curious as to how the Irish people today view a resurrection of the "Eucharistic Congress" as played out to the masses in 1932? I know my own now-dead mother would be just as ecstatic now as she was back then, when she was a teenager. She never forgot, or got-over, her Grand Day Out! PS. She died in the arms of the "loving" clerics . In other words, she finally met her Makers :wink:
Quite some time ago on a thread I predicted that the CCL was going to make a special case of targeting Ireland and its seems I was right. One of the things I said was people being ordained to the priesthood would go up. I think it was Shar who said that's not possible. Last week Mr. Martin ordained three new priests. I'm sure thats an increase. This congress BS is part of the same reasserting of the CCL's influnce. How many politicians will dare stay away.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Alexis

Post by Alexis » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 am

FXR wrote:
Alexis wrote:Last week Mr. Martin ordained three new priests. I'm sure thats an increase. This congress BS is part of the same reasserting of the CCL's influnce. How many politicians will dare stay away.
I recently had a conversation with a casual acquaintance who is a student in Maynooth and he was delighted to inform me that there were 5 (FIVE!) seminarians in Maynooth this year (2008). Could we really go back to the Holy Glory Days of Catlick Oireland, do you think?
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:56 am

Alexis wrote:
FXR wrote:
Alexis wrote:Last week Mr. Martin ordained three new priests. I'm sure thats an increase. This congress BS is part of the same reasserting of the CCL's influnce. How many politicians will dare stay away.
I recently had a conversation with a casual acquaintance who is a student in Maynooth and he was delighted to inform me that there were 5 (FIVE!) seminarians in Maynooth this year (2008). Could we really go back to the Holy Glory Days of Catlick Oireland, do you think?
You have to wonder how ill informed and deluded or twisted somene would have to be to become a cathlick priest in this day and age. They must be raising breeding stock in some barn down the country with no TV or newspapers.