Dry Good Friday

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:50 pm

Ygern wrote: Ah well, they work so hard for us after all... you wouldn't begrudge them their modest earnings, their expense accounts, first class plane tickets when private jets can't be found, seemingly endless holidays, strange fetishist obsession with imported silk shirts...
They sit for 41 days a year and legislation that needs to be passed gathers dust. I'd begrudge them oxygen........... :lol:
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:54 pm

Your oxygen policy may have some merit: it might provide some motivation to get moving...
psillery

Post by psillery » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:56 pm

Yeay. A victory for common sense!

Its a silly rule to have in this day and age anyhow.
"All thinking men are atheists."
Ernest Hemingway
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:03 pm

psillery wrote:Yeay. A victory for common sense!

Its a silly rule to have in this day and age anyhow.
But yet you never hear much discussion or protest about it which was something I've enquired about from the general population wot I met one afternoon not shooting pheasants in Wicklow.

Well guess wot: the general population is afraid they would lose a day off if the law was changed.........and then they would'nt be able to get shitfaced in the boozer behind closed doors.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:07 pm

That's one of the ironies of the situation. Everyone stocks up the day before as if the End of the World (or at least Off-Licenses) is nigh so that they can drink anyway.

So who is anyone kidding?
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:20 pm

Ygern wrote:That's one of the ironies of the situation. Everyone stocks up the day before as if the End of the World (or at least Off-Licenses) is nigh so that they can drink anyway.

So who is anyone kidding?
Of course the whole thing carries an element of that most oft learned habit that results from a Catholic education: two faced hypocrisy.

I've had people actually tell me when asked should the pubs be closed "Sure of course, this is a katlick cuntry, it yer religion" and then the same people could give me a list of the pubs we could get into on the day.
inedifix

Post by inedifix » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:06 pm

Ygern wrote:That's one of the ironies of the situation. Everyone stocks up the day before as if the End of the World (or at least Off-Licenses) is nigh so that they can drink anyway.
I think you mean so that they can drink "more". :wink:

I
“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.” Chuck Palahniuk
Alexis

Re: Dry Good Friday

Post by Alexis » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:31 pm

FXR wrote:
This "good" (sic) Friday BS always gets on my wick. It's the imposition of superstition on everybody else.
No, FXR, its not mere superstition, its POLITICS! The Catholic Church is the biggest political organisation on the planet! here do you think the GWB mob and our own FF mob get their 'great ideas' from :wink:
FXR

Re: Dry Good Friday

Post by FXR » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Alexis wrote:
FXR wrote:
This "good" (sic) Friday BS always gets on my wick. It's the imposition of superstition on everybody else.
No, FXR, its not mere superstition, its POLITICS! The Catholic Church is the biggest political organisation on the planet! here do you think the GWB mob and our own FF mob get their 'great ideas' from :wink:
AAAAAAAAAAnnnndddddddd the one and only product of the CCL: SUPERSTITION!
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:49 am

Here's an awesome opinion piece on the topic...

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/columnists ... 73598.html

In my home state of Queensland you can still get alcohol from restaurants and pubs that serve food on good friday but you can only buy it with a meal.

I've always had a big problem with someone elses religious beliefs being forced on me by law. They'd may aswell ban the sale of meat products on good friday. Why just alcohol?