Dry Good Friday

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:27 am

The law seemingly dropped in out of nowhere closing off licences at ten is meant of give people a shove back towards the pub.
Oh christ, you're right, FXR. I was wondering what that was all about.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:30 pm

Why can't the Religious police themselves?

Why do they expect a government to do it for them by putting a threat of fines and imprisonment on the whole population?

The answer is, they don't.

Its long past time for these laws to be discarded.
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:32 pm

Ygern wrote:Why can't the Religious police themselves?

Why do they expect a government to do it for them by putting a threat of fines and imprisonment on the whole population?

The answer is, they don't.

Its long past time for these laws to be discarded.
But isn't it odd that there is no general outcry calling for an end to this nonsence. It's like everbody shuffels around under this National umbrella of hypcrisy.

Your'e religion says you must bathe your gooleys in three litres of purple porridge on a certain Friday? Well fine go ahead but don't make it a law.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
HarryO'Criosna

Re: Dry Good Friday

Post by HarryO'Criosna » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:43 pm

Ygern wrote:I often do my grocery shopping early on Sunday morning, and its damned inconvenient to be prohibited from purchasing a bottle of wine until 12.
This rule gives me a pain in the HOLE. Sunday morning is a great time to go shopping, one set of people are lying in bed in the horrors and another crew are off hoovering up a bit of stale ice cream wafer. Obviously you want to stock up on some lovely lovely booze while you're there (to give yourself early-onset alcoholic liver disease at home of course, which couldn't happen if you were at the pub) but you can't. Per other posts, let the fuckers follow their own consciences, though of course this would entail thinking about your value system and what is right and wrong rather than just following the rules you've been given by Fr Feely.

Really annoyed me last week when I wanted a bottle of wine to put in a stew, I wouldn't even have drank it or gotten any of the lovely lovely alcohol in it but no, sunday morning it is...
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:45 pm

Well, that's the irony of the situation. Those of us doing the groceries on a Sunday morning are probably the only people without a blood-alcohol content in Ireland ie we're clearly not still sleeping off the mother of all hangovers; nor are we sipping at overly-sweet dessert wine first thing in the morning as one does at Mass.

(What were they thinking? Alcohol on an empty stomach wasn't bad enough, it has to spike your blood sugar to borderline diabetes levels? I jest :wink: but you know what I mean.)
FXR

Post by FXR » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:18 pm

Ygern wrote:Well, that's the irony of the situation. Those of us doing the groceries on a Sunday morning are probably the only people without a blood-alcohol content in Ireland ie we're clearly not still sleeping off the mother of all hangovers; nor are we sipping at overly-sweet dessert wine first thing in the morning as one does at Mass.

(What were they thinking? Alcohol on an empty stomach wasn't bad enough, it has to spike your blood sugar to borderline diabetes levels? I jest :wink: but you know what I mean.)
Is it legal to sell 2 thousand year old blood before 12pm? Just a thought......I don't know if it would stand up in court.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
munsterdevil

Post by munsterdevil » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:36 am

In my opinion it makes people actually drink more on that day be they christian muslim atheist etc.

The fact that you cannot go to a pub makes you want it all the more, and on a personal level we always end up at some house party where we would drink more than we normally would at the pub, and usually there is a few games of cards thrown in, eg Texas hold em, straight poker anything that involves the 'sin' of gambling. It's near identical to Xmas night parties!

I'm sure this is similar across the country and all the more reason to get rid of this De Valerish law.

Then again I would miss these annual social gatherings, but sure small price to pay...