Letter sent to Times and Independent about the Angelus

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
hamilton

Letter sent to Times and Independent about the Angelus

Post by hamilton » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:23 pm

'The Angelus', broadcast by RTÉ does not reflect modern Ireland and is biased in favour of Christian, presumably Catholic, viewers. This contravenes RTÉ's Programme Standards and Guidelines 2008, and owing to this should be replaced with something which is not partisan. An examination of these guidelines (available from the RTÉ website) reveals just how at odds with the broadcaster's standards 'The Angelus' is.
On page 7 of the guidelines we are told that: “No editorial or programming bias shall be shown in terms of gender, age, disability, race, sexual orientation, religion or membership of a minority community” [my italics]. This is further clarified on page 8, where programming is said to “reflect the diverse values of the people of Ireland, specifically cultural, including language and regional needs across all age groups”.
The section titled Care in the Use of Language states that: “There are Muslim, Hindu, Confucian and Jewish communities in Ireland as well as other religions that should be recognised and treated with respect” [page 57]. 'The Angelus' does not do this. Furthermore, in the section dealing with Religious Beliefs [page 55], RTÉ claims that it should (sic) “cover the religions of new groups” as well as those “traditionally found in Ireland”. “RTÉ will also acknowledge in its programming people who are agnostic or atheistic”. 'The Angelus' doesn't do this either.
As (denoted by its title) 'The Angelus' is exclusively Christian/Catholic, it cannot be said to adhere to these guidelines on representation of diversity in Ireland today. Indeed, on page 71, in a section entitled Respect for Diversity it is made clear that “RTÉ must reflect in its programming the diversity of culture, religion, political views, physical ability and disability, age, class, race and ethnicity and sexual orientation that exists in Ireland today. RTÉ must present an inclusive image of Ireland and not exclude marginalised groups” [my italics].
As it is, 'The Angelus' suggests little more than the superiority of the Christian/Catholic tradition over all other opinions currently expressed in the country. Obviously this is at odds with the standards and guidelines as described above. It may seem a benign thing – a bell tolling for a minute at 6pm as actors feign quiet epiphanies – but it is the kind of programming one would expect to find in a theocracy and serves to remind non-Christians that they are on the margins. In continuing to broadcast 'The Angelus' RTÉ betrays its own ethics and does a disservice to many of its fee-paying viewers.
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:12 pm

Excellent stuff - can't fault that.
FXR

Post by FXR » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:35 pm

Nice one. Stick around Mr. Hamilton. In another few weeks I'm going to start this years email campaing to have the crib removed from the GPO which is a public building.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Alexis

Post by Alexis » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:46 pm

FXR wrote:I'm going to start this years email campaing to have the crib removed from the GPO which is a public building.
If you really feel that strong about it, why not chuck a Molotov Cocktail in the window of the GPO?

Alternatively, you could take another route on your way to the northside of Dublin City?
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:17 pm

Will someone ring Martha's GP and tell him the new medication is not working?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
hamilton

Post by hamilton » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:54 pm

Alexis wrote:
FXR wrote:I'm going to start this years email campaing to have the crib removed from the GPO which is a public building.
If you really feel that strong about it, why not chuck a Molotov Cocktail in the window of the GPO?

Alternatively, you could take another route on your way to the northside of Dublin City?
Surely because the problem is the crib. Not the GPO. Chuck a firelighter in the crib?
No, stick to campaigning. It's saner and safer.
Wened

Post by Wened » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:38 pm

hamilton wrote:
Surely because the problem is the crib. Not the GPO. Chuck a firelighter in the crib?
No, stick to campaigning. It's saner and safer.
Yes, ur right. I like fire thou.
"They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to middle Earth." - George RR Martin
jaydee

Post by jaydee » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:35 am

Good work,well justified.
A simple task that might be repeated throughout the year to more clearly demonstrate resistance to change in "Irish" society.
Joe Davis
KinGTR

Post by KinGTR » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:49 pm

Brilliant letter.

The Angelus is a disgusting remnant of an old catholic Ireland that I hope rots in the annals of forgotten history

Raised as non religious ( I was never baptised or went to church, the only religious education I received was religion class in school which I immensely enjoyed as forums for debate and exercises in logic) and becoming a confirmed scientific atheist at a young age (9-10ish) I find aspects of my own country deeply alien and sinister. Things like the strangle hold of the church in education, religious statues on public land and the church’s interference in social issues like the woman’s right to choose and divorce law. All this is symbolised by that pathetic Bong Bong noise pumped out daily on our national broadcaster like a call to worship, and if we can at least remove this backward anachronism then at least we as a country are moving in the right direction.
'I'm going to invent a religion that's going to make me a fortune. I'm tired of writing for a penny a word.' L. Ron Hubbard

( My favourite evil genius!)
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:54 pm

I just did the whole Catholic thing for the cash.

After my confirmation, they expected ME to pay THEM!