John Waters saying stuff again

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
andrew

John Waters saying stuff again

Post by andrew » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:38 am

Never have so many words been used to say so little

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opi ... 24770.html
Emm....would anyone like to see my monkey impression?
tony

Post by tony » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:31 pm

For it is not simply that the religious world is being divided from the material/political one but, also, and far more crucially, that any sense of an absolute awareness of reality is being dismantled in our cultures.
Its amazing that someone has the arrogance to claim as reality something which is taken on faith. Breathtaking really.

Priests stand up in front of their congregations and do it every weekend. I was in mass last year and the priest attributed all the problems in the world at the moment to those who reject christ. I don't think many there really gave it much thought. Everyone seemed to be in a trance. If a politician said something like this they wouldn't get away with it.
Alexis

Re: John Waters saying stuff again

Post by Alexis » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:57 pm

John Waters wrote:The concept of secularisation does nothing to alert us to the enormity of this change in our culture, merely signifying a liberation from the shackles of religious authority.
I don't know what John Waters personal dilemmas are, but he's obviously in hysterical mode, which is kinda sad for a guy in his fifties :cry:

The fact is, Ireland hasn't changed all that much, in essence, (appearances can be deceptive) since the triumphalist days of Holy Catholic Ireland. We are still subservient slaves ruled by Masters. Once they were the RC misogynist bishops, taking their orders from Rome. Now they are the progeny of those self-appointed Lords, or, Masters of the Universe (think Christian Missionaries :wink: ).

John Waters is not alone in his romantic pining for the Good Old Days of the Christian Brothers, with all their psychotic whips and lashings, to say nothing of their normalised paedophilia. He is the voice of a sizeable number of Irish people, who still cling to their miserable lives.

But its not his fault that his brain has been so damaged by his own childhood experience (of growing up in Triumphalist Catholic Ireland) that he can't clearly focus both on Ireland's past history and its present political position. The two are inextricably linked. Celtic Tiger Ireland is (or was - brace yourselves for the Great Recession/Depression, folks!) merely more of the same old-same-old crap!
Wened

Post by Wened » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:37 am

John Waters wrote:old-same-old crap!
Good point. I was hoping to spent few more years in ur country but this "small market correction" (aka biggest depression known to human history) scares the crap out of me. Do you think that after economy will slow down (die) people will came back to their old ways? I mean, i can survive in bad economy (im from eastern europe) but the idea of jesusland is too much to take.
"They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to middle Earth." - George RR Martin
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Wened wrote:
John Waters wrote:old-same-old crap!
Good point. I was hoping to spent few more years in ur country but this "small market correction" (aka biggest depression known to human history) scares the crap out of me. Do you think that after economy will slow down (die) people will came back to their old ways? I mean, i can survive in bad economy (im from eastern europe) but the idea of jesusland is too much to take.
Well, Wened, I'm sure your parents or your grandparents remember all too well what happened in Europe after the last big economic downturn. A resurgent church is the least of our worries.

regards
DL
Wened

Post by Wened » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:38 am

DollarLama wrote: Well, Wened, I'm sure your parents or your grandparents remember all too well what happened in Europe after the last big economic downturn. A resurgent church is the least of our worries.

regards
DL
Does it say fifty million marks? In early 1990 we had denomination in Poland. Before that one small botle of pepsi costed 1500 zlotys and my mom had salary of 5 milion zlotys per month :) Dolar exhange rate was 1$/40000Z
"They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to middle Earth." - George RR Martin
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:02 am

Yep, that's what it says. Weimer-republic Marks. We all know what followed the Weimar Republic.

I wasn't aware that the zloty had undergone hyperinflation so recently. Must have been as a result of the collapse of the old Soviet Union, yeah?

cheers
DL
Wened

Post by Wened » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:48 pm

DollarLama wrote:Yep, that's what it says. Weimer-republic Marks. We all know what followed the Weimar Republic.

I wasn't aware that the zloty had undergone hyperinflation so recently. Must have been as a result of the collapse of the old Soviet Union, yeah?

cheers
DL
Exactly. We denominated it on first of january 1995 by cutting 4 zeros (10000 was 1). Mother told me that in late 80 and early 90 when you were going on one week holidays then you needed to take lots of money with you. After 7 days everything was more expensive.
On the first day you could buy you ticket to the other side of poland for 100 zlotys and on the last day you could buy bubblegum for the same amount.

I apologize to mister John Waters and to author of this topic for hijacking it :)
Geekzilla

Post by Geekzilla » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:15 pm

andrew wrote:Never have so many words been used to say so little

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opi ... 24770.html
That's typical for him - he frequently speaks through the bit between his gluteus maximii. About a decade ago he frequently went on rants against mobile phones.