Should St Patricks day be stopped

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.

Should St Patricks day be stopped

Yes turn pictures of Mr.Paddy (Succat) upsidedown.
22%
No St.Patrick was a great fellow, its a nice day out in mid-March
28%
Don't care I just want to get drunk
50%

Total votes: 18
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:31 am

Need you ask?
not as many are aware that he is also the patron saint of Nigeria, a country that was evangelized primarily by Irish clergy.
http://www.allsaintsbrookline.org/celti ... trick.html

A propos of nothing, Irish influence can also be found in Kwazulu & Zululand... home pubs and breweries are called 'shebeen' - and its now considered local vernacular.
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:00 am

munsterdevil wrote:Oh yeah I nearly forgot, but St. Patrick is also the patron saint of Nigeria

However in 'God's' name that came about.

Incidentally Guinness is one of the most popular alcoholic drinks in Nigeria and there is actually a Guinness brewery in Nigeria.

Now there is a coincidence!!! :o
And the government has spent millions in the last few years dealing with problems of illegal Nigerian immigration in Ireland. I wonder where they got the idea they should come here.........
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:04 am

It’s the no buying alcohol on Good Friday that pisses me off.
CelticAtheist

Post by CelticAtheist » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:34 pm

mkaobrih wrote:It’s the no buying alcohol on Good Friday that pisses me off.
Is this true?
Mind you, I have never tried to buy alcohol on Good Friday.
Penguin_Factory

Post by Penguin_Factory » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:37 pm

I don't think there's any need for that- St. patrick's day is even more secular than Christmas and Easter now.
Jon
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Jon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:28 am

I really should spend more time reading these posts although, with this one, I've some difficulty. The whole way through I just couldn't get the image of a muslim wondering what to do with a sausage and a condom out of my mind. There's a synergy in there somewhere. Mind you, there's also no "I" in team, but there is a "me" if you look hard enough.
Jon
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Jon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:41 am

Ygern wrote:Out of interest, where did the story of Patrick and the snakes come from seeing as there haven't been any of our slithery brethren here since the end of the last Ice Age?
You should go to Phoenix Park (zoo) or, of course, the Oireachtas if you want to see snakes. The less poisonous ones are the ones in the zoo.
FXR

Post by FXR » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 am

Penguin_Factory wrote:I don't think there's any need for that- St. patrick's day is even more secular than Christmas and Easter now.
Which is why shifting the day to the last Monday in March (employers would like that) and making the name offically Paddies Day would be more tolerant and inclusive.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:46 am

CelticAtheist wrote:
mkaobrih wrote:It’s the no buying alcohol on Good Friday that pisses me off.
Is this true?
Mind you, I have never tried to buy alcohol on Good Friday.
Yes It's illegal to sell alcohol on good friday. Although there were some restaurants managed to avoid prosecution last year. The judge threw the cases out of court.
nozzferrahhtoo
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by nozzferrahhtoo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:57 am

Yea I am totaly for battling this one. It is an example of legal endoresement of religious beliefs. No alchohol on good friday is about as far from a secular law as it is possible to get.