Should St Patricks day be stopped

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.

Should St Patricks day be stopped

Yes turn pictures of Mr.Paddy (Succat) upsidedown.
22%
No St.Patrick was a great fellow, its a nice day out in mid-March
28%
Don't care I just want to get drunk
50%

Total votes: 18
FXR

Post by FXR » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:35 pm

nozzferrahhtoo wrote:Yea I am totaly for battling this one. It is an example of legal endoresement of religious beliefs. No alchohol on good friday is about as far from a secular law as it is possible to get.
It might be illegal to sell it but not to give it away or drink it.
That would be a good idea for a protest in the middle of O'Connell St and around the country.

Just put it up on the website.
Meet in O'Connell St. for a protest beer....
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re:

Post by aZerogodist » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Ygern wrote:Next thing you'll be saying that the Gospels were written by people who never actually met Jesus.
Wait a minute...
nice one :D
FXR wrote:
nozzferrahhtoo wrote:Yea I am totaly for battling this one. It is an example of legal endoresement of religious beliefs. No alchohol on good friday is about as far from a secular law as it is possible to get.
It might be illegal to sell it but not to give it away or drink it. That would be a good idea for a protest in the middle of O'Connell St and around the country.Just put it up on the website. Meet in O'Connell St. for a protest beer....
But its illegal to drink on the street, can clubs sell on "Bad Friday". Maybe Atheist Ireland should register as a club, and we can all drink on X's day and good friday, it's their religion not ours.
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
cosmosforest

Re:

Post by cosmosforest » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:08 pm

FXR wrote: It might be illegal to sell it but not to give it away or drink it.
only in pubs/clubs on that friday - you can purchase alcohol on trains, planes, and boats
What say ye to a train trip to (unspecified location) where we can drink and have a meeting/meet another atheist society?
"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
Plato
Lord Supposer

Re: Should St Patricks day be stopped

Post by Lord Supposer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:07 pm

Good Friday is one of the best day's of the year to have a house party because of that stupid law.

I hate the idea of St Patrick's day being moved to the last Monday of March instead of the 17th, that's just sucking up to the big business capitalist arseholes which to me is just as offensive as sucking up to the church.
Are You Horny.. For Truth?!?
http://www.horny4truth.com
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:52 pm

you need to suggest a replacement national day, i still confused whether its only when we became a republic in 48/9 is the our most important day, don't like 1916 24th april remembrance its too militaristic and the whole thing was shortlived.
test
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re:

Post by ctr » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:41 am

bipedalhumanoid wrote:No more than we should ban Christmas. Christmas and paddy's day have become secular. Sure if you wanted to you could turn it into something religious. You could go to church on that day or whatever but the vast majority of people don't think of religion when they think of st Patrick's day.
I agree

I hate the day myself :?
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:26 am

The three-leafed shamrock is mainly an Irish Christian symbol for the Holy Trinity-wiki. Legend also credits Patrick with teaching the Irish about the concept of the Trinity by showing people the shamrock, using it to highlight the Christian belief of 'three divine persons in the one God' (as opposed to the Arian belief that was popular in Patrick's time)-Wiki.
So the very symbol for Patricks day is a religious symbol though I say most people would forget that part.

St. Patrick also preformed great magical miracles like a messiah, a usefull miracle like removing harmless snakes from Ireland, (why not rats).
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
SunWorshipper

Post by SunWorshipper » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:22 am

aZerogodist wrote:The three-leafed shamrock is mainly an Irish Christian symbol for the Holy Trinity-wiki. Legend also credits Patrick with teaching the Irish about the concept of the Trinity by showing people the shamrock, using it to highlight the Christian belief of 'three divine persons in the one God' (as opposed to the Arian belief that was popular in Patrick's time)-Wiki.
So the very symbol for Patricks day is a religious symbol though I say most people would forget that part.

St. Patrick also preformed great magical miracles like a messiah, a useful miracle like removing harmless snakes from Ireland, (why not rats).
He didn't, as I'm sure you know.
After the ice age, the snakes never got here.They barely made it to Britain, which is still almost snake-free.
The catholic church, in particular, seems to be obsessed with snakes as the epitome of all evil. Amazing that, seeing that they have produced some of the greatest snakes of all time from within their own ranks. And some of their members couldn't confine their own personal snakes within their ostentatious frocks.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:55 pm

im thinking that the this is interesting argument whether one should try to isolate religion or water it down, most people seem to be going for the water it down while i prefer to leave to the religious(even though it has life of its own especially outside ireland)

defo think a commemoration of the first dail would be more useful to promote worldwide then a religious based day.
test
UDS

Post by UDS » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:22 am

It occurs to me that St Patrick's day must be one of the few widely-celebrated national holidays which does not commemorate a battle, the start or end of a war or a rebellion, or some other violent event or episode.

Given this country's troubled history with violence, that seems to me a consideration rather in favour of retaining St Patrick's day as the national holiday. You may not like the fact that it is at least nominally a celebration of religious faith, but there are plenty of worse things that can be celebrated in a national holiday.