Should St Patricks day be stopped

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.

Should St Patricks day be stopped

Yes turn pictures of Mr.Paddy (Succat) upsidedown.
22%
No St.Patrick was a great fellow, its a nice day out in mid-March
28%
Don't care I just want to get drunk
50%

Total votes: 18
UDS

Re: Should St Patricks day be stopped

Post by UDS » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:54 am

Lost, if you’re suggesting that the conversion of Ireland to Christianity was achieved by force, now would be a really good time to produce your evidence. My assertion is that, whatever else wemay say about it, St Patrick’s Day commemorates an episode not obviously connected to violence (which cannot be said of any of the alternatives commemorative days suggested in this thread) and I happen to think that that’s a positive point. I’m not aware that the historical record contains anything pointing to significant violence associated with the conversion of Ireland to Christianity, but I’m very happy to be corrected on the point, if I’m wrong.

You’re quite welcome to disagree with me on this, but I would take your disagreement a bit more seriously if you told me why you disagreed, or produced some evidence to support your disagreement. Or is it an article of faith for you that conversion to Christianity is always, everwhere and only achieved by force, so that it can be assumed, without the need for any actual evidence, that the conversion of Ireland was accompanied by violence?

If, on the other hand, you are merely suggesting that violent events occurred in Ireland during the time when it converted to Christianity, I’ll happily concede that this is very probably true, but I don’t see what you think that would prove.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:00 pm

it would prove that movers an shakers were positioning themselves and that Christianity was just a part of that. violence included.
test
UDS

Post by UDS » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:15 am

lostexpectation wrote:it would prove that movers an shakers were positioning themselves and that Christianity was just a part of that. violence included.
I may be a bit thick, but I'm afraid I'm still not seeing your point. Are you suggesting that influential people in Gaelic society sought to cement their power by forcibly converting people to Christianity, and that this is why Ireland was Christianised?
lostexpectation

Vote for Google's St Patricks Day Logo

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:46 pm

seems like st patricks day has been watered down
http://www.google.com/intl/en_ie/doodle ... /vote.html

its surprising how few of them actualy directly draw st patrick or things related to the him his legend and religion, i voted for any that did.

ps all this is good example of inappropriate corporate brand marketing in schools
test
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:34 am

Well this holy day is here, so no convertions to that old crazy black-magic.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:34 pm

it seems we're getting our own version of winterval

with a story http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/ne ... ckday.html about some business promoting 'Shamrock Day' rather then st patricks day

i've always said leave Saint Patricks day to the religious and let the secular people celebrate shamrock day, not that im a fan of the name.

just like winterval this is just a commercial promotion and is no threat to catholicism or st patricks day, and may well strengthen the religious element of st patricks day celebrations

i don't know why the churches and religious would like to be associated with plastic paddy crap sold in pound shops
Last edited by lostexpectation on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
test
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:01 am

I have to say that the parade in Cork was great, exept for that "Pray" group. Got some footage and will try to get a video togather.