Labour wants schools in lieu of abuse payments

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
lostexpectation

Labour wants schools in lieu of abuse payments

Post by lostexpectation » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:01 pm

http://www.independent.ie/education/lat ... 53754.html

labour will ask that schools be handed over free of charge because the Church paid just €128m towards the €1.1bn cost of compensating sex abuse victims

THE State owns less than 3pc of the country's 3,200 primary schools while Ireland has one of the highest percentages of privately owned primary schools in the world, new figures reveal.

A major political row is now set to erupt after it emerged the State legally owns just 83 primary schools across the country. The vast majority of the schools -- almost 3,000 in total -- are in the possession of the Church. The remainder are privately owned.

Education Minister Batt O'Keeffe will come under pressure in the Dail today to begin talks to arrange an "orderly handover" of the title deeds of the Catholic-owned schools to the State.

Labour education spokesman Ruairi Quinn

time for the church to settle the bill
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/edito ... 53818.html
test
FXR

Re: Labour wants schools in lieu of abuse payments

Post by FXR » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:07 pm

Labour are getting my vote at the next election.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
baalzamon

Post by baalzamon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:58 pm

FXR wrote:Labour are getting my vote at the next election.
i'd wait and see what, if, anything comes of this.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Excellent news...they already have my vote and now you know why.

A lot of people in Labour are religious but most (not all) understand that this should not be extended to how the state is run. However they were never in a position to move on this agenda.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
Jennie

Post by Jennie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:28 am

Am I reading this right in that they're asking for ALL of the RC-owned primary schools to be handed over??
Where words fail - music speaks
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Jennie wrote:Am I reading this right in that they're asking for ALL of the RC-owned primary schools to be handed over??
Should be the ultimate objective but not gonna happen I'm afraid.

At least not judging by this:
Catholic Church sources last night said they were willing to reduce the number of church-linked schools if parents wished it. But they made it clear that there would have to be compensation for school buildings that were handed over.
They have some neck asking for compensation when they're falling short on abuse payments. Catholic with a capital C!

lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Jennie wrote:Am I reading this right in that they're asking for ALL of the RC-owned primary schools to be handed over??
not all.
test
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:24 pm

lostexpectation wrote: A major political row is now set to erupt after it emerged the State legally owns just 83 primary schools across the country. The vast majority of the schools -- almost 3,000 in total -- are in the possession of the Church. The remainder are privately owned.
I find this disturbing and shocking, they are supposed to be the Government to govern the people, not the churches side-kick.
Jennie

Post by Jennie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks guys :D
I wasnt sure was I reading it right and was second-guessing myself :oops:
I got a flurry of excitement when I thought it might be all...... but it's passed now :(

I'm astounded to learn that the state legally owns so few schools. I don't know why I am continually surprised to find out just how much we are still under the thumb of the church. I guess this illusion of our relative freedom from RC (compared to that of 40 years ago) is just that - an illusion. *sigh*
Handing over schools to the church in lieu of abuse payments, especially considering how little of it they've paid already, is a brilliant idea though. If this does happen Labour will be getting my vote next time around too!
Where words fail - music speaks
mkaobrih

Post by mkaobrih » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Spammy spammy spam spam :evil:
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.