Why do we need same sex marriage?

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Why do we need same sex marriage?

Post by Feardorcha » Mon May 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Last year, if I'm not greatly mistaken, the regulation was changed so weddings could be performed anywhere. I presume a state notary or clerk of the register must also attend - for a fee. Hotels were the first to cash in on this but it's good to see that the humanists also saw the opportunity.
Hobbesian World View

Post by Hobbesian World View » Mon May 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Feardorcha wrote:Last year, if I'm not greatly mistaken, the regulation was changed so weddings could be performed anywhere. I presume a state notary or clerk of the register must also attend - for a fee. Hotels were the first to cash in on this but it's good to see that the humanists also saw the opportunity.
You obviously havent read the whole thread. Its already been stated that weddings cannot "be performed anywhere". The venue must conform to these guidelines.
http://www.groireland.ie/guidelines_for_venues.htm.
That means no outdoor weddings. No weddings at home etc.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon May 04, 2009 8:48 pm

Hmmm!
This from the Irish Humanist Association website: "Humanist weddings can be held anywhere - indoors or out in the open. Many couples choose to hold their ceremony in a hotel, country house or castle; others simply use their own garden. Some are held overseas - every year the list of venues gets longer".
And the picture of the outdoor wedding? Looks like Wicklow. Hmmm! again.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Mon May 04, 2009 8:54 pm

Just read down to the small print: "Note: At present Humanist weddings do not carry legal status in Ireland and couples should make their own arrangements in this regard." Bit of a cop-out, I think.
UDS

Post by UDS » Tue May 05, 2009 3:16 am

marklen wrote:As an aside...
I was very annoyed to read about the requirement that only religious ceremonies can be held in churches. I need to find out how they define "religious" and "church", and see if one location can be registered permanently. I had this great business idea of buying a church and making it a marriage venue for "alternative" religious ceremonies - i.e. minority religions and non-religious. Bring your own celebrant or choose from our list. I was thinking of doing Catholic "look-a-like" ceremonies, for people who want a ceremony their Gran will recognise, but who don't fancy attending pre-marriage courses (stories abound of Nuns explaining condom use). If you want it 100% Kosher except for the "Bat out of Hell" music while you walk up the aisle, OK by us! I could make some side deals with local hotels, a marquee provider, and some caterers, and actually do the whole wedding as a turn key service. Eventually I would have expanded into naming ceremonies and funerals. Actually, this was a half serious business idea, just haven't had time to research it. I still take marriage seriously, but the legal part is really only 4 names on a piece of paper, and the law does the hard work for you, BUT the ceremonial part is a gold mine, and the RCC needs some competition!
As Hobbesian World View has pointed out, there's nothing to stop you building a churchy-looking building of your own or, more simply, buying a redundant church building with suitable architectural touches - they come on the market quite often. Then you could get it fitted up and approved for public functions and make it available for weddings on exactly the same basis as hotels, castles, etc.

Anyone wishing to get married there would need to arrange for a registrar to attend, but they would face the same issue in a hotel or a castle. The registrar will require the state-approved statements and exhange of vows to be included in the ceremony, but beyond that the happy couple can include all the candles, angelic choirs, meringue-like wedding dresses, pageboys, flower girls, bells, incense, pointy hats, harps, rose petals, orange blossom, etc that they want (and can afford). Or you could arrange a registrar for them as part of the service. It would have to be a registrar from the local health board, though. There's nothing to stop couples having another celebrant as well if they want.