Which Politicians do you think/suspect are atheists?

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
GeraldHourihane

Which Politicians do you think/suspect are atheists?

Post by GeraldHourihane » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:02 pm

This is going to be a highly speculative post. We all know that politicians in most countries, even our own have to pretend to be religious even when they’re not.

I’ve talked to people who would swear blind that Barack Obama has to be an atheist. He did give a shout-out in his inaugural address to “people of all faiths and none”. It seems quite likely that John McCain is an atheist also, and just lied about himself in the run-up to the election last year.

I watched Mary McAleese's brilliant interview on RTE. (http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0528/newssp ... 4,null,230). She was asked if her devout Catholicism (@ 3:51) effected how she felt. Mentioning atheists (@ 5:38) in response means to me that she objected on some level to the idea that Christianity is necessary to have empathy with the victims.

Am I reading too much into this? Devout Christians in my experience never express much solidarity on any level with atheists, as they’d rather not say anything nice about them.

Am I alone in this? Are there any other politicians either here or abroad who are probably atheists?
lostexpectation

Re: Which Politicians do you think/suspect are atheists?

Post by lostexpectation » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:04 pm

ah but mcaleese is the ultimate fence sitter

she spend way too much trying to convince herself.
Last edited by lostexpectation on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
test
GeraldHourihane

Post by GeraldHourihane » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:31 pm

And what do you think about Obama or McCain?
Hemingway
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Hemingway » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:11 pm

GeraldHourihane wrote:And what do you think about Obama or McCain?
Im not sure about the two of them, but here is a story about one politician in The States that has mede his views known:
http://www.napavalleyregister.com/artic ... 470445.txt

It'll be interesting to see how he fares at the next election.....
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken
JamesBurkill

Post by JamesBurkill » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:15 am

I've heard some commentators suggest that Obama is an atheist on the grounds that he mentioned non-believers in his acceptance speech and that if he were an atheist he could not admit it and become president. I think this is highly speculative and would suggest that, while it is possibly correct, it is more likely that he is a liberal christian.

I'm very weary of people who are good at talking/persuasiveness/speeches/propaganda. All it proves is that such people are good at talking/persuasiveness/speeches/propaganda. However, people seem to attribute all sorts of other achievements to the repituars of such people.

I personally I'm very sceptical of the historic reputations of people like Pádraig Mac Piarais, John F Kennedy, Peter Lalor, Winston Churchill & Adolf Hitler (Just to pick examples from five nations with which I am relatively familiar).

All examples represent people whom we remember due to their abilities as persuasive orators (either directly or indirectly).

Being a good orator of course doesn't automatically make you bad at anything else. But it does seem to mean that people will assume you are good at EVERYTHING else... and worthy of all sorts of accolade.... and if you're a good orator it might be a nice, easy way out of going to the effort required to be good at anything else.

Anyway, that's why I am sceptical of Obama. TBH, given the options, I would have voted for him if I were in a position to do so... but I certaintly would not have been one of the hysterical fools ready to cry racist if he lost the election and ready to cry when he won the election.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:24 pm

I also have my doubts that Obama thinks of himself as an atheist, even a closet one. The only thing I am sure of is that he is the consummate politician, so it is doubtful that he will ever spill the beans on this one. It just wouldn't do his political reputation any good. It is far more useful for him to let it remain a grey area, allowing people to fill in whatever makes them feel comfortable. He may not even have a formal religious identity.

Unlike a good many (although not all) of his predecessors in office, he is an educated, thoughtful and highly articulate man, so we won't be hearing any pig-ignorant bigoted statements from him. But he doesn't hesitate to pay lip-service to bigots and pedlars of superstition when he feels he has to. Which brings me back to my earlier point - he's a politician.

I'm just grateful he appears to be a liberal and intelligent one.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:29 pm

And which politicians do you think/suspect are members of Catholic secret societies?
Dr Woods, Bertie Ahern...