|Grab Your B/S Detectors!

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
washington
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

|Grab Your B/S Detectors!

Post by washington » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Read this in todays IT. Smacks of Opus Dei apologetic to me.

http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/851/f/1085 ... tory01.htm
smiffy

Re: |Grab Your B/S Detectors!

Post by smiffy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:58 pm

He has a point. Why focus on the 99 rotten apples and ignore the one good one in the barrel?
Atheism is a religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby - Scott Adams
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:23 pm

I don't see any overt apologist posturing ( just a True Believer) to be honest. He's trying to defend his beliefs rather than the Church; but seriously, who thinks that " the only solution lies in a simple return to true holiness, to the Gospel, to the sacraments..." is going to do one iota of good?

I don't think he has a single valid point unless anyone really thinks that only the Gospels will actually "save" the next generation of Irish children - as he seems to be arguing. More priests in the classroom will bring about a return to holiness (whatever that is)? He's entitled to his opinion, but its a pretty vapid one in my opinion.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:57 pm

Living here in France for my studies has shown me that this isn’t the fault of Catholicism, but of its modern Irish incarnation.
He must be totally unaware that Roman Christianity has produced centuries of depraved sexual predators and anti-human diatribes. The Vatican was bought and paid for by corruption including the income from brothels, religious junk bonds and thievery. The devout Catholic mind has indoctrinated into it an unfounded basic set of presumptions: that the religious doctrines that produce the results are not the cause of what results but their solution. No matter what depravity goes on and no matter how long it goes on for the constant cause of the problem is still interpreted as the solution. It's a self regenerating virus in the guise of a vaccine.
When I ask myself how we go forward carrying the weight of such sins, I slowly start to see that the only solution lies in a simple return to true holiness, to the Gospel, to the sacraments, to love, to faith, to hope, to charity and inevitably to Jesus. .

There is not time to “return” to as in a time when Catholicism was some shining beacon of simplicity staffed by kindly men (women don’t get in) concerned with some mythical mission to help humanity. No one in the present can “return” to a badly sketched character in a religious pamphlet written in the Iron Age.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Hobbesian World View

Post by Hobbesian World View » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:24 pm

I slowly start to see that the only solution lies in a simple return to true holiness, to the Gospel, to the sacraments, to love, to faith, to hope, to charity and inevitably to Jesus
Ever noticed how catholicism morphed, in the late 20th century, to being all about positive things like "love" and compassion.

But as soon as they get into a position of power and authority, it becomes about sin, penance, suffering, obedience etc. And ultimately, if given absolute power it becomes all about rooting out heretics, torturing heretics in dungeons, burning witches etc.

Its this flexibility that has allowed this insidious cult to survive for centuries. Hopefully, the 21st century will be the one where christianity withers away and dies.
washington
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by washington » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:50 pm

My reliable source in Paris emailed me to say that Mr. Rafter is 'allegedly' a member of Opus Dei, so my b/s detector is still in working order!
Perhaps Ruairi Quinn, when speaking in the Dail debate last week, should have added the Irish Times to the Dept. of Education when listing the dead hand influence of secret societies in the Irish Establishment. Perhaps Madam should explain how a twenty-year old student can get a main article in the IT on such a controversial issue without declaring his agenda.
DollarLama
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by DollarLama » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Hobbesian World View wrote:Hopefully, the 21st century will be the one where christianity withers away and dies.
...to be replaced by the true faith, Insh'allah.

Sorry HWV, couldn't resist! :lol:
"Religious belief of all kinds shares the same intellectual respectability, evidential base, and rationality as belief in the existence of fairies." AC Grayling