Psychiatric hospitals in Ireland

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
tony

Psychiatric hospitals in Ireland

Post by tony » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:00 pm

Given the track record of the Catholic Church I suspect that there may be a terrible scandal with regard to the way the Psychiatric hospitals were run.

Given the power of the Catholic Church, it is not inconceivable that in the past they may have sent "troublesome" individuals from the laundries or industrial schools into Psychiatric hospitals to make them disappear,people who may not have been suffering from mental illness. Who would question them for doing something like this?Also, the treatment of patients and any abuses that may have gone on.

I certainly think it is an area that should be investigated and discussed.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Psychiatric hospitals in Ireland

Post by Dev » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:27 am

I'm not aware of any such previous investigation that may be relevant but I think in this case the reports destroying the reputation of the CCL from their involvement in education over the past decade warrant further investigation into other institutions the church had involvement in. Did the CCL have involvement in said hospitals?
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:14 pm

I'd almost think it would be a given that they used mental institutions for their crimes as well. Just as bad that based on their twisted preaching people with disablities used to be kept hidden in back rooms going back to some lunatic belief that deformity resulted in the devil affecting the sperm at conception or some such horseshite. At one time they even preached that a female baby only resulted because the wind was blowing in the wrong direction. I had an aunt I barely remember as a kid who was always kept in a dark bedroom when we visited Granny in the flats. She was referred to as "poor Molly".
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
tony

Post by tony » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:19 pm

As far as I am aware the Catholic Church owns Irish hospitals, if not then they are patrons.If anyone can clarify this please do.I think most of the mental institutions in this coutry have saints names.

Here is a link to an article on how the Catholic church behaved in relation to the running a Mental instituion in Canada.They transferred orphans from the orphanages they ran into mental institutes they ran because they got more funding from the government.Google 'Duplessis Orphans'.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... RTA0009473
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplessis_Orphans

I have no doubt that this sort of thing went on in Ireland. It should definately be investigated.I hope someone does.
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:29 pm

tony wrote:As far as I am aware the Catholic Church owns Irish hospitals, if not then they are patrons.If anyone can clarify this please do.I think most of the mental institutions in this coutry have saints names.

Here is a link to an article on how the Catholic church behaved in relation to the running a Mental instituion in Canada.They transferred orphans from the orphanages they ran into mental institutes they ran because they got more funding from the government.Google 'Duplessis Orphans'.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... RTA0009473
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplessis_Orphans

I have no doubt that this sort of thing went on in Ireland. It should definately be investigated.I hope someone does.
It won't be.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
rccaulfield

Post by rccaulfield » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Its well known that alot of psychiatric hospitals were used the same ways as the laundries with pregnant women being sent there and often ended up staying and raising their children there( St Ita's Portrane for 1). As far as abuse goes i sincerely doubt it mainly because of the fact that Nurses ran the wards in great numbers( as against priests in isolation with no peer judgement)and its a caring profession at its core! However the system itself was very abusive in the way people were admitted by family members and could be kept in for life! Thats all changed now with thw Mental Treatment act 2001.