Justice Ryan and Dublin Diocesan reports, reactions?

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
washington
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Justice Ryan and Dublin Diocesan reports, reactions?

Post by washington » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:50 pm

Why are people allowed to get away with congratulating archbishop Martin for the 'way he behaved'...when all he did was behave in the way any normal individual with a moral conscience and a grasp of the difference between wrong and right would be expected to behave?...I've listen to interviewers tell him 'you are one of the good guys'!!!!!...another said 'archbishop...you were impeccable in your handling of this issue'!!!...lets face it he couldn't have suppressed the truth much longer ...the game was up...he was told by Ratzo to go over there and manage this denouement before it brings down the whole edifice.
Dev
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Dev » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:38 pm

washington wrote:Why are people allowed to get away with congratulating archbishop Martin for the 'way he behaved'...when all he did was behave in the way any normal individual with a moral conscience and a grasp of the difference between wrong and right would be expected to behave?
I think people at this stage are glad to see a priest give some expected human reaction. Just look at the response we got from the CCL from the Ryan report. There was none.
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Did anyone else notice Abish Martin said a number of times "we know that the whatever happens the number of padeophiles in a society remanins constant". Who fed him that line?

One of the more disgusting little media reports was on Q102. That buffoon Aiden Cooney had on none other than David "Iona" Quinn to discuss it. This is one sick little island.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:04 pm

Did anyone notice the magic figure of €1.3 billion has appeared as the amount the Government wants to squeeze out of the public-sector workers.
This is the same sum with which Bertie Ahern and Michael Woods capped the liability of the religious child-abusers.
So basically, the public-sector workers will be paying for the priests' crimes.
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:14 am

yes and the army is paying €1.2 million for chaplains, prison service probaly a few hundred thousand more, health service and schools and colleges probably a few million more....

State institutions are posatively infested with the fuckers and the wealth transfer from state to church is massive.

GT
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:00 am

BrendanConnolly wrote:I have a question for the legal eagles: is it a crime not to report a crime such as sexual assault? If so, how long is the statute of limitation. Should those members of the catholic hierarchy who did not report sex crimes to the authorities not now be prosecuted?
According to Mary Raftery's excellent, if deeply disturbing piece, no.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opi ... 45384.html
There is arguably enough evidence in this report to send bishops James Kavanagh (now deceased) and Donal O’Mahony (retired) to prison for failing to report crimes. Or at least, there would be if there existed such an offence. Incredibly, there is none.

We certainly used to have one; called misprision of felony, it was conveniently dropped from the statute books in 1998 when the felony laws changed. The effect was that no priest, bishop, or indeed lay person, could be charged with failing to report criminal activity of which they were aware.

What a sigh of relief the bishops of Ireland must have breathed.
Beebub
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Beebub » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:05 pm

Great letter in today's Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/let ... 21186.html
Madam, – Watching, listening, reading about this scandal proves that the current Catholic church is not in touch with the people.

Let’s send a strong message. Stop attending, stop contributing, stop assisting, stop being subservient, stop it all. The church, its clerics and its hierarchy rely on parishioners to survive. We, the people of Ireland, should indicate that we don’t approve of what has and is happening. Hit them where it hurts. Remove their reason for existing.

I suggest we treat them like we might answer one of those people in the street conducting a survey, or trying to get you to sign up to something, just say “Not today, thanks” and walk on without looking back. Liberation from the hypocrisy, lies, deceit could suit you! – Yours, etc,

JOHN McNEILLY,
I wrote a similar one, but this knocks mine out of the water.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:09 pm

How deep the corruption in this country is. They even changed the law to make sure the CCL clerics got away with their crimes. What kind of mind in a position of authority, most likely with children of their own, would do that?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:42 pm

yes praise heaped on diarmaid martin is totally undeserved he's the head of corrupt organisation, vb interviewed a bit more aggressively then miriam ocallaghan did.

what will our taoiseach do, nothing.
test
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:01 am

It is about time people stopped making excuses for the Catholic church in this country.

Fintan O'Toole writes:
The Roman Catholic Church’s great achievement in Ireland has been to so disable our capacity to think about right and wrong that parents of abused children apologised for the abusing priest
See: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opi ... 19182.html

And a comment on this article:

Hanora Brennan: (here)
Lest we forget, the religious orders have earned fifty million from the Irish taxpayer since 2002 in capitation grants for each child that attends their schools. An end has to be in sight for this shameful practice and if anyone in government has a decent set of gonads go for it! I bet that this issue will not be tackled in my lifetime and I like to believe I have score in me at least
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics