christianity and secularism

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
graylion

christianity and secularism

Post by graylion » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi guys

I just recently joined and have not read a lot yet. But I'd like to state something for the record. As an practicing Christian I strongly support separation of Church and State and secularism. All of these are a prerequisite for freedom of religion. And that is important. And The freedom to not have a religion falls under freedom of religion ;)

A state church is harmful to the conscience of everybody who has a deviating opinion, no matter what they be. And that kind of contradicts the purpose of having free will and freedom of conscience.

kthxbai
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: christianity and secularism

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Very refreshing to read this. I am very happy you posted that because like you I think that a real democracy can only exist with a seperation of church and state.

And I am convinced that more christians like yourself have that opinion.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
dugges
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by dugges » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for the comment graylion!!! :)

This country could do with more like you!
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:43 pm

and by the way welcome to the forum. Hope you will contribute once in a while.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Rogan
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Rogan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:19 am

Hi Graylion, firstly welcome to the forum. As you've probably already guessed most of us on here aren't practising Christians, so it's really nice to read your above comment on the seperation of Church & State, thanks for taking the time to post.
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:03 am

graylion wrote: As an practicing Christian
Hi welcome
could you expand on that please ? catholic ,protestant ,orthodox or some other variation ?
والقس هو مجنون
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 am

What I was thinking; is there a christian movement who promotes a secular state in Ireland?
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:23 am

chemicals wrote:
graylion wrote: As an practicing Christian
Hi welcome
could you expand on that please ? catholic ,protestant ,orthodox or some other variation ?
Does that really matter?

Could you explain why that would? (I really just don't get it, must be my non religous upbringing, thinking it's all the same)
chemicals
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by chemicals » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Tulip1 wrote:
Could you explain why that would? (I really just don't get it, must be my non religous upbringing, thinking it's all the same)
Curosity - some variations of christians have very definite official views on secular society
eg
Pope Benedict XVI discussed with Vatican officials the church’s culpability in its child sex-abuse scandal, but he also blamed a secular society, which he claimed that the mistreatment of children was common.
http://radiofreethinker.wordpress.com/2 ... r-society/
والقس هو مجنون
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Fair enough.. I thought there would be deeper reasons :lol: