Blasphemous UCC exhibit sparks outrage

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Blasphemous UCC exhibit sparks outrage

Post by Byron » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:33 pm

I was up there earlier and it's a rather benign looking image. Also there were no protestors in sight. However, I just received a call from the P.R.O of the UCC Atheist Society, of which I am a member, telling me there are roughly 30 or so protestors up there now. They will also be there tomorrow from 1.30 - 5.30. We might be organising a counter protest.

I'll keep you informed.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:44 pm

What will the counter-protest pickets say?
"Up with this sort of thing!"
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Byron » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:15 pm

Ok, we're organising a counter protest. Details will be posted later on tonight and as soon as I have them i'll share them on here.

Also, our Facebook page is here. http://www.facebook.com/pages/UCC-Athei ... 2033424244
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:36 pm

If it were possible to get the protesters to complain to the gardai under the blasphemy law, we might get a test case.
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Byron » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Details of the counter-protest here.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=214546881917938

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a media presence of some sort tomorrow.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Feardorcha wrote:If it were possible to get the protesters to complain to the gardai under the blasphemy law, we might get a test case.
It's not going to work. The law was written to be practically unenforceable, and particularly to protect artists of all media from being targeted by it. This is one of the reasons why it is such a silly law.
(3) It shall be a defence to proceedings for an offence under this section for the defendant to prove that a reasonable person would find genuine literary, artistic, political, scientific, or academic value in the matter to which the offence relates.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/ ... c0036.html

Anyone trying to use the law in the hopes of halting the exhibition would fail as soon as they started. The only thing that could end the exhibition would be if UCC capitulated to the protests of conservative Mother Grundys.
The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time ~ Lawrence Krauss
Cork Skeptics
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Byron » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Ygern wrote:
Feardorcha wrote:If it were possible to get the protesters to complain to the gardai under the blasphemy law, we might get a test case.
It's not going to work. The law was written to be practically unenforceable, and particularly to protect artists of all media from being targeted by it. This is one of the reasons why it is such a silly law.
(3) It shall be a defence to proceedings for an offence under this section for the defendant to prove that a reasonable person would find genuine literary, artistic, political, scientific, or academic value in the matter to which the offence relates.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/ ... c0036.html

Anyone trying to use the law in the hopes of halting the exhibition would fail as soon as they started. The only thing that could end the exhibition would be if UCC capitulated to the protests of conservative Mother Grundys.
Actually, does A.I have an official position on this? I know Michael was on Liveline about it but i'd like to know just in case i'm asked.
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Ygern » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Well, we did spend quite a bit of time trying to persuade the then minister, Dermot Ahern to get rid of it. He promised a referendum on the issue, but seeing as his government has gone that may take some time.

The two main issues are:

1) It is pointless to have such an illiberal law on the statute books that is not only unwanted by most people, but has been rather clumsily cobbled together so as to make it virtually unusable. This means that even its makers didn't actually want a blasphemy law, and it was in fact contrary to the then government's own foreign policy. Ireland has consistently voted against blasphemy laws in the United Nations, for example. The fact that back at home this same government brought a new blasphemy law onto the Irish statute books was utterly bizarre and ill-conceived.

2) While the law probably has no real teeth in Ireland, it has dangerous consequences outside of Ireland. It means that Irish citizens could be charged with blasphemy in other countries that have similar laws. It also has proved a favourite point used by the Islamic lobby in places like the United Nations who use Ireland's new law as a trump card to justify their own drive to create blasphemy laws at the United Nations.

There's a lot more information on the this over at our http://www.blasphemy.ie site.
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Byron » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 pm

Ygern wrote:Well, we did spend quite a bit of time trying to persuade the then minister, Dermot Ahern to get rid of it. He promised a referendum on the issue, but seeing as his government has gone that may take some time.

The two main issues are:

1) It is pointless to have such an illiberal law on the statute books that is not only unwanted by most people, but has been rather clumsily cobbled together so as to make it virtually unusable. This means that even its makers didn't actually want a blasphemy law, and it was in fact contrary to the then government's own foreign policy. Ireland has consistently voted against blasphemy laws in the United Nations, for example. The fact that back at home this same government brought a new blasphemy law onto the Irish statute books was utterly bizarre and ill-conceived.

2) While the law probably has no real teeth in Ireland, it has dangerous consequences outside of Ireland. It means that Irish citizens could be charged with blasphemy in other countries that have similar laws. It also has proved a favourite point used by the Islamic lobby in places like the United Nations who use Ireland's new law as a trump card to justify their own drive to create blasphemy laws at the United Nations.

There's a lot more information on the this over at our http://www.blasphemy.ie site.
Sorry, I meant the exhibition. I'm fully aware of the organisation's position regarding the blasphemy law. :D
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:44 pm

What about it? It is an art exhibition and since this is art there is no issue other then that from people who take offence.

There is no right not to be offended. And that should stay that way.

But that is my opinion and not AI's. Good on you for organising a counter demostartion.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.