Blasphemous UCC exhibit sparks outrage

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Blasphemous UCC exhibit sparks outrage

Post by Feardorcha » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:41 am

@Ygern. My point is not to make the law work but to show that the law is unworkable and should be removed.
I have contacted some of the offended, suggesting that they make a complaint - under an assumed name, of course.
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Byron » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Just in the door from the protest. To say the Catholic protestors were hostile would be an understatement. They didn't talk to us but at us. They were also overheard talking among themselves that they should "get in front of us to block us".

However, two quotes stuck in my head. Firstly, when we arrived we had a small talk with them and the man who seemed to be the most outspoken. One of our party wished him the best of luck with the protest, as was his right in a free and democratic society, to which he responded "Well I don't wish you luck". How Christian of him.

The second quote was from a woman just as they were all leaving when she said, without a hint of irony, "A little knowledge goes to the head".
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:44 pm

Byron wrote:Just in the door from the protest. To say the Catholic protestors were hostile would be an understatement. They didn't talk to us but at us. They were also overheard talking among themselves that they should "get in front of us to block us".

However, two quotes stuck in my head. Firstly, when we arrived we had a small talk with them and the man who seemed to be the most outspoken. One of our party wished him the best of luck with the protest, as was his right in a free and democratic society, to which he responded "Well I don't wish you luck". How Christian of him.

The second quote was from a woman just as they were all leaving when she said, without a hint of irony, "A little knowledge goes to the head".
At least she admits you have to be stupid to be religious. :lol:
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
aiseiri47
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

UCC Exhibition

Post by aiseiri47 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Just saw this on PZ Meyers blog; thought there might be interest as it's happening in Cork:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 ... mmentsArea
University College Cork is hosting a small academic event featuring the work of Chicano artists, which includes an art exhibition that includes irreverent images of the Virgin Mary, with titles like "Our Lady and Other Queer Santas". Apparently, this image has stirred up fury and threats from deranged Catholics everywhere it goes — but then, it really doesn't take much to set off mindless fanatics.

Irish Catholic bloggers are outraged and calling for it to be taken down — you aren't allowed to denigrate beliefs, they claim, never mind that yes, you are, and that there isn't anything particularly denigrating about the image. But of course, there is a poll.

Should an exhibition like this be allowed to take place in UCC?

Yes 60%
No 40%

By the way, if you want more weirdness, check out America Needs Fatima. This is an American organization that thinks that the way we'll solve all of our problems is by putting a statue of the Virgin Mary in every home and getting everyone to worship it.
Flower

Post by Flower » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:51 am

i was Driving past UCC yesterday and saw the protest, was wondering what it was about.
I take it no one has seen the exhibition on at Crawford degree show? ??? There is a stop motion of jesus and simon Cowel montage! :lol:
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Byron » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:59 am

Apparently the Gardai are investigating and a file has been sent to the DPP. I read this on a blog so it's not exactly the most reliable source.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:53 am

I have to go and see this.
Vae

Post by Vae » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:27 pm

And thus, the second Irish civil war begun.
Byron
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Byron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:09 am

There should be an article about this in the Evening Echo some time next week. Myself, the PRO of the society and someone else who was on the counter-protest with us were all asked for our comments regarding the protest. Will keep you all informed.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:30 pm