Embroyonic stem cell research, abortion & the immortal s

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
FXR

Post by FXR » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:13 pm

CitizenPaine wrote:
FXR wrote:I hope it was published.
Not yet, but they often miss a day - perhaps on Monday. By the way I've started reading "Vicars of Christ" and I have to say that it's one of the deepest studies into Catholic history that I've ever come accross. According to De Rosa (is he anything to Proinsias?) he was thinking about this book for thirty years. It shows.
CitizenPaine
(Your mixing up de rossa which is Irish for Ross so he's no relation.)

When he gets to discussing abortion and the church's attitude to it he makes some excellent points. It's perhaps unfortunate he still has not come all the way out of the woods in as much as he keeps banging on about the love of an extinct apprentice carpenter.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Johnnnnn

scientist says he has discovered how human souls are made

Post by Johnnnnn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:20 pm

Here is an interesting article that relates to some of these topics...

A Nobel prize-winning scientist says he has discovered how human souls are made.
brianmmulligan

Re: scientist says he has discovered how human souls are mad

Post by brianmmulligan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53 pm

Johnnnnn wrote:Here is an interesting article that relates to some of these topics...

A Nobel prize-winning scientist says he has discovered how human souls are made.
God save us from bloody journalists. That was a tedious read (I ended up scanning) and the title was not relevant. Although some people use the word soul to refer to individuality, most (and all religious people) use it to refer to that conciousness and personality that can survive without the body. This was not what the scientist was referring to.
Brian
Johnnnnn

Post by Johnnnnn » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:52 am

Research by scientist Gerald Edelman is advancing the understanding of the mechanisms of consciousness by applying Darwinian principles to the development of the brain and mind.
Such research is showing that consciousness emerges from biological processes and helps to dispel notions of a non-biological based soul.

:? Hey... wait a minute... I'm not talking about washing powder.

(Although, sure enough, such scientific finding are very unlikely to have any effect on the stance held by religious institutions.)