Ireland kneel down again!

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Ireland kneel down again!

Post by Feardorcha » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:11 pm

http://irelandstandup.org/links.html
This is a link to a new organisation that was launched in Buswells Hotel, Dublin, today.
The only TDs present were from Fianna Fail.
As the campaign is being supervised by Our Lady of Knock, it is bound to succeed.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Ireland kneel down again!

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:17 am

JUNIOR Foreign Affairs Minister Lucinda Creighton
This shower may have more support than previously reported.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cr ... 80707.html
I'd like to see a list of names of the TDs and Senators who support it.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Sounds like mail-spamming works, maybe we should also send out 15,000 postcards for a special FSM embassy, and for fairness an Islam, JW, Buddhist, Pagan, Meth ...etc embassy. We (Ireland) wouldn't wanna be seen giving just one cult it's own prilivelged embassy.
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paolovf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm

from that article Ms Creighton says:
"Our foreign policy agenda is at one with the Vatican. When it comes to the priorities for us, human rights, hunger, all of these freedoms that we promote all over the world, particularly in Africa, we do it hand in hand, side by side with the Vatican.
I hear Hitch-type rebuttals in my mind.
"For that reason, from a strictly foreign affairs perspective, I think it would be very desirable in the future to step up our relations with the Vatican again. Now is obviously not going to be possible, but certainly in due course... At that point, I’ll certainly be one of the loud voices calling for it to happen," she said.
I'm trying to understand why so many people are backing this, and it may be presumptuous of me but I think people are clutching at straws to save ties with the church rather than having a strong interest in our foreign affairs and foreign policy agenda.
aZerogodist wrote:and for fairness an Islam, JW, Buddhist, Pagan, Meth ...etc embassy. We (Ireland) wouldn't wanna be seen giving just one cult it's own prilivelged embassy.
... agreed
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by GT » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 pm

Dear Taoiseach Enda Kenny,

Once again we are writing to respectfully request that the decision to close our Vatican Embassy be reversed. We also respectfully request that an invitation be extended to Pope Benedict XVI for the International Eucharistic Congress.

On November 28th Ireland Stand Up launched its postcard initiative and it has been an astounding success. We have received hundreds of phone calls and emails requesting postcards. Fifteen thousand cards have already been distributed. Our website is receiving hits worldwide. As a result, we will shortly unveil a virtual postcard which can be sent by the Irish diaspora.

The hurt, disappointment and anger felt by the people is palpable. Many of those most affected are grass root supporters of Fine Gael. The party was not given a mandate, to close Villa Spada, our Embassy to the Holy See, which was bought and paid for by the Irish people for this specific purpose, 75 years ago, in 1946.

In your recent broadcast to the people you informed us that ‘we are not responsible’ for the current economic crisis. Similarly, ‘we are not responsible’ for the scandals and abuse perpetrated by a small minority of the Church. However, by closing our Embassy you have made victims of us all by launching a direct assault on our faith.

In times of strife many find comfort in their faith and indeed for centuries Irish people have relied on their faith to help them through difficult times. The ‘official excuse’ for the closure of our Embassy is but another lie. Indeed the world’s media have recognised it as such. The secularists, humanists and atheists, can barely conceal their joy at this decision.

The Labour party’s policy of inclusiveness, which they plan to engineer in a new constitution, is one which ignores the wishes of the majority.

As a result, Ireland Stand Up is currently planting the seeds of a further initiative on a multi-faith platform. We will be calling on all faiths, Christian, Jewish, Muslim and others to unite against this anti-God agenda.

In this season of peace and goodwill, we humbly request that as Taoiseach, you use your authority to reverse this appalling decision. A great leader listens to his people. This ability has already been demonstrated by the decision to reverse the disability cuts.

Please listen to thousands of your people and help build a new dawn of hope and renewal in our country and our faith in God.

Yours faithfully,

Anne Doyle on behalf of Ireland Stand Up
Surely not thee "Anne Doyle" ex RTE?
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
Feardorcha
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Feardorcha » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:58 pm

We will be calling on all faiths, Christian, Jewish, Muslim and others to unite against this anti-God agenda.
Good luck with that! I can't see the other two strands of Abrahamism getting any advantage from this unless it leads to further embassies in Mecca and Jerusalem.