Bible in the voting booth and the hospital reception

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
ehierophant
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Bible in the voting booth and the hospital reception

Post by ehierophant » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:12 am

When I went to vote last Thursday I spotted for the first time to my eyes the 'New Testement' on the voting official's table. This was right beside the list of registered voters. I asked if this was his light reading. No, he had have it there apparently as you can swear on it as a valid form of identification. He never had to use it and sniggered in contempt that it was even on the table, but 'rules is rules'.

This lunacy is at the point of the authority of the Irish state - a republic voting on its constitution. A state based on the authority of its citizens through the very act of being given the choice to vote rather than be pushed back into a corner where their only means of expression would be the same as the founders of the Irish nation.

Bibles out of voting booths should be on the campaign list as a part of secular Ireland. Can this be an easily achievable goal. Answers on a postcard...

15 days previously, when I was in St. Vincent's hospital Emergency department, the receptionist required that she be provided with my religious. I replied with the one word "fluid", the confused look on the receptionist face made her doubt for an instant as to why she had to ask the inane question in the first place. In northern Ireland it is sectarian to even ask this question. The hospital is run by a board directed by a religious order, but it is 100% state funded. I think that in the spirit of north south co-operation a little freedom from religion is in order when a person is in need of emergency medical attention and is asked to turn over €100 to the mix. Tag this to the secular society list.
GT
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Bible in the voting booth and the hospital reception

Post by GT » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:53 pm

Where's the "Like" button???
Regards,

GT

Faith is following someone else's lies.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Tulip1 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:51 pm

I can not agree more, in the Netherlands it is illegal to ask someone for their religion.

One is allowed to state their religion (if any) for obvious purposes but can not be asked.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
aZerogodist
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by aZerogodist » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:34 pm

ehierophant wrote:he had have it there apparently as you can swear on it as a valid form of identification.
But's what's an Atheist meant to swear on unless swearing that the bible is a work of an fiction or the option to swear at the bible.
ehierophant wrote:This lunacy is at the point of the authority of the Irish state - a republic voting on its constitution.
Agree in a laughably called secular state, as Micheal would put it 'background religeous noise'.
Allmost like a virus it seems that every state body has religeous code embeded within it's main funtion, some more so than others.
e.g.
RTE: The Angelus (a programme about a young girl being impregnated by a ghost, opps a errr holy ghost)
State Hospitals: get them when they're at a low ebb, sick and vulnerable.
State school system: indocrination of children should not be part of education.
The Air corps: Blessing aircraft in a silly yearly ceremony ???
Politicians: have to say a prayer before they start work each day for the state, local & Gov level.
Blasphemy Law It's illegal to say anything bad about religion in case it hurts someone's deeply held myths.

Most peole are oblivious to this untill someone asks the question Why? and then follow up with, but seriously why?
Atheist Ireland Youtube
HOME RULE not ROME RULE
If I'm your mission shepherd, best give it up, your welcome on my boat..god aren't. -firefly
Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies-links to local clubs & news
AcProctor
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by AcProctor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Blasphemy, how can any State justify laws that mean a law-abiding citizen could have less rights than a militant fundamentalist, simply because their belief system has no recognition?

Yes, I am atheist but have a "belief system" (for want of another term) based on logic and an evidence-based description of our universe. However, I am truly offended by some things said in the name of religion, and occasionally aimed at atheists in particular.

Why am I a second-class citizen?

Blasphemy laws are not fair and not sustainable.

Tony