Catholic Church and Death

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
FreeThinker2010
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Catholic Church and Death

Post by FreeThinker2010 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:22 pm

Recently my aunt died in hospital so she died and they brought her back,she said she was in pain,she suffered,then she died again and yes they brought her back again because they just couldnt get enough of her suffering,this time she says leave me die im in great pain,then she dies again and yes,you guessed it,they brought her back again but this time when she died her body couldnt take it anymore and they couldnt bring her back.I am 100% convinced that the catholic church basks in the suffering of others...I went to the rosery and then a mass because my whole family are institutionalised and indoctrinated from day one as are most in ireland by the catholic church.So there i am in the mass(a critic of religion)the priest says all rise and wouldnt you know i rise as well,right there and then i fully understood the word institutionalization,you are programed to obey they commands of the priest,like a puppet.I understand that i stood up not because i respected the religion but because in ireland when your growing up there is a church next to most schools and you are sent through it as if you were a robot to be programed in a factory so when the priest said all rise a subconscious feeling of nostalgia hit me and i obeyed the command.The teachers have a roll to play,they tell kids if they dont do as there told and respect the religion they will be in trouble.As you can see the teachers use fear and intimidation and the priests program the children.Thus the suffering my aunt went through is a norm in this country and its somehow gods will.Im not finished yet,all this is justified by prayers,so no matter how bad a deed you do,it is forgiven if you stay faithful to the cathloic church and pray and wait theres more you allso go to heaven when they show is over and yet again there is more,untill then you can have a clear conscience as long as you pray and give money to the needy,the needy being the priests,bishops and popes so they can dress like pimps and sit on there golden thrones in theres castles.So untill then enjoy the show and live a life of blissful ignorance and stupidity because it is divine and its all gods will.They are good salesmen,ill given them that but not smart enough for me,you wanted another christopher hitchens,here i am.
FreeThinker2010
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Catholic Church and Death

Post by FreeThinker2010 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Excuse me if i made spelling mistakes...
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:06 am

Spelling is not too bad but no spaces after full stops and a distinct lack of paragraphs make it very hard to read.
Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver
paddie
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by paddie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:48 pm

I thougth your experience of your Aunts death was explained rather well. The feeling of anger with the medical policy of maintaining a life beyond its natural lenght comes across well. Being upset with the suffering of your Aunts last period of life is only human. I can only say that you retain the fond memories of your Aunts life and not the period of her suffering towards the end. I'm sure you can seek the reasons way the medical staff operated the way they did.

At funerals and weddings I stand when the congregation stands but don't kneel, so I do a lot of sitting. I do not feel this takes away from my beliefs. To me a funeral is a way of saying goodbye to someone and sometimes it can be done rather well in a church but not always. I left religion a long time ago so perhaps I feel less threatened than most. It's hard to feel fear from an old man with a collar who even fears to discuss the topic of religion with someone who agues back. Don't be so hard on yourself, you were there for your Aunt, your Family and yourself not the Church.

It is parents who set the beliefs in a deity, then the schools add and reinforce those beliefs. Control and discipline are installed in the child and are are very hard to breakout of later. To stop believing in a god means you have to betray your parents and those in society held up as leaders, the priest, the teacher and the local worthies. Your right they are good salesmen and it does mess up your head but it will pass. Clear your head and point the anger in a better way. Find rational arguments and when your ready hold your corner. We all see reality differently its just I'll rather have the one based on something near truth and logic.