Movin Paddys Day

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.

Should the National Holiday be renamed Paddies Day

Yes
54%
No
15%
Don't care I'm having my hair done that week.
31%

Total votes: 13
FXR

Movin Paddys Day

Post by FXR » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:17 pm

It's terrible to see golden opportunitys go by.

From the Indo
Bishops decide to celebrate Paddy's Day on March 15th
Wednesday July 18 2007

Ireland's Catholic bishops have decided to move the church's celebration of St Patrick's Day to March 15th next year.

The decision has been taken because March 17th coincides with the start of Holy Week.

The church will now celebrate the feast day two days early, but the decision is unlikely to have any affect on traditional St Patrick's Day celebrations, which will almost certainly go ahead as normal on March 17th.

If there was an organisation in place this was a chance to inagurate Paddys Day, a day for all the Irish (no religion required).
Once the former slave was out of the picture he'd be gone forever.

http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... +inclusion
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
IrishKnight

Post by IrishKnight » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:42 pm

I don't think it should be called Paddies Day but something along those lines yes...
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:00 pm

IrishKnight wrote:I don't think it should be called Paddies Day but something along those lines yes...
No I don't agree. The change should be seen as a slight shift. If you go too far it would be harder to achive. Personally I'd like to call it A Fuck The Pope Day for all the Irish but I think paddies day would have a better chance.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
brianmmulligan

Post by brianmmulligan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:39 pm

Very clever. Paddies' Day is the day for all paddies, including athiest paddies as opposed to Paddy's Day which would belong to some guy called Paddy. Worth voting for just for that.
Brian
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:34 pm

not bad but how do take the religion out of something that has no religion left in it.
eamonnm79

Post by eamonnm79 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:54 pm

It wouldnt surprise me if the catholic church are making a deliberate attempt to disassociate themselves from this day, that gives such a clear reflection that Ireland, in the minds of most people, is no longer a "catholic country".
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:56 pm

lostexpectation wrote:not bad but how do take the religion out of something that has no religion left in it.
No matter what makes up the actual parade it's always under the banner of the Welsh religious slave and allows the Vatican to hold the high ground. Changing the name in the interests of tolerance and inclusion would have Herr Ratzinger and co eating their silk underwear.
artyfarty

Post by artyfarty » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:59 pm

eamonnm79 wrote:It wouldnt surprise me if the catholic church are making a deliberate attempt to disassociate themselves from this day, that gives such a clear reflection that Ireland, in the minds of most people, is no longer a "catholic country".
Well said
A little boy prayed for a bike. Then he realised God doesn't work that way so he stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Carl Sagan - The Pale Blue Dot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M
FXR

Post by FXR » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:00 pm

eamonnm79 wrote:It wouldnt surprise me if the catholic church are making a deliberate attempt to disassociate themselves from this day, that gives such a clear reflection that Ireland, in the minds of most people, is no longer a "catholic country".
I'd imagine that's the last thing they'd want to do. On the other hand sometimes I think protecting the income they derive is their top priority.