FR. MICHAEL CLEARY

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.
Martha

FR. MICHAEL CLEARY

Post by Martha » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:15 am

For those of you who saw the documentary ("At Home With The Clearys") on RTE tv last night, what did you think of it?
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by CatHerder » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:24 am

Ross seemed like a nice guy,

they must have had a rough time of it when the story broke.

I got a real kick out of the bit where Cleary was giving out about Casey. Apparently he had confided in Casey about having a son and Casey gave him a hard time about it.
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by ctr » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:26 am

pots and kettles :roll:
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:11 am

CatHerder wrote:Ross seemed like a nice guy,

they must have had a rough time of it when the story broke.

I got a real kick out of the bit where Cleary was giving out about Casey. Apparently he had confided in Casey about having a son and Casey gave him a hard time about it.
Even better was the article in the Evening Herald by Pat Stacey titled Arrogance and lies of the singing priest laid bare... In a newpaper owned by Tony O'Reilly too!

The last paragraph is a gem:
The residual felling is that his human failing , his "sin" was far outweighed by all the "good" he did.

Maybe it was.

Yet the lies and hypocrisy of Cleary and others of his cloth served to constrain the lives of several generations who put their faith in the church and its rules about morality-trusted their souls to it, even-and were repaid with lies, arrogance and double-standards.

You can thank Pat for his fine article by emailing him at: pstacey@independent.ie
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
Martha

Post by Martha » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:31 pm

Michael Cleary was what I would call a typical two-faced Catholic - whether that's a genuine mental illness or not, I don't know - but what he did to his son (or rather, his children) is unforgiveable. I feel so sorry for his son Ross, not least that Cleary's family have completely disowned (scapegoated) him. He tries to be brave, but all he is doing is coping the best way he can with a horrible legacy. I hope he manages to fully come to terms with it all some day.

Yet another tragic story that is the inevitable legacy of Holy Catholic Ireland.
Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.

Woody Allen