Action station: Kill a crib this December, it's your GPO!

Discuss church-state separation issues that are relevant in Ireland.

Do you intend to email the GPO?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:46 pm

Yes right now
100%
Later
No votes
No I love cribs
No votes

Total votes: 2
FXR

Action station: Kill a crib this December, it's your GPO!

Post by FXR » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:37 pm

Pressoffice@anpost.ie

Dear Sir or Madam
Having emailed the customer service department of your organisation a total of five times now without a reply of any sort I am hoping you can help with my inquiry.
I would like to know what An Post’s plans for seasonal decorations/displays inside the GPO this December. I would also like to know who decides the content of such displays and to whom, should An Post put up a sectarian display favouring any one religious group, to whom a legal injunction should be directed.
Thank You

xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxx

If enough people complain about the moving crib on the floor of the GPO we might just herald the death knell for such displays in public funded buildings or at least in the most famous building in the very heart of the capital.

So don't just sit there get emailing!
Last edited by FXR on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
greenwitch

Post by greenwitch » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:00 pm

This morning I received An Posts `Irish stamps Collectors News`. It has the details of this years christmas stamps which they claim
`continue a time honoured tradition which will not just please the eye, but will warm the heart as well.`
The 3 stamps are the presentation at the temple (78c), the magi (55c) and the adoration of the shepards (self-adhesive).
These christmas stamps seem to get more religious each year and no they neither please my eye nor warm my heart but they do turn my stomach.[/url]
FXR

Post by FXR » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:04 pm

greenwitch wrote:This morning I received An Posts `Irish stamps Collectors News`. It has the details of this years christmas stamps which they claim
`continue a time honoured tradition which will not just please the eye, but will warm the heart as well.`
The 3 stamps are the presentation at the temple (78c), the magi (55c) and the adoration of the shepards (self-adhesive).
These christmas stamps seem to get more religious each year and no they neither please my eye nor warm my heart but they do turn my stomach.[/url]
What! I was in the philatellic shop the other day and did'nt see any of those. What next a stamp with bleedin' Bono and Charlie Haughey or better still one with a brown bag on it.
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
greenwitch

Post by greenwitch » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:39 pm

They are not being issued until the 8th Nov. Did they not already do Bono? I`ve just noticed the first day of issue postmark is an angel blowing some kind of horn :roll:
FXR

Post by FXR » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

greenwitch wrote:They are not being issued until the 8th Nov. Did they not already do Bono? I`ve just noticed the first day of issue postmark is an angel blowing some kind of horn :roll:
All the more reason to go for the removal of the crib. If enough people email them they might think twice next year or even this year.
FXR

Post by FXR » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:44 pm

Mr xxxxxxx,

Many thanks for your enquiry. The plans for this year's seasonal display in the GPO are still being finalised and a number of departments, including Property and Communications are involved. The display will most likely comprise the traditional nativity crib display, always so popular with Dubliners and visitors to the city, as well as a selection of Santa's workshop and Santa's post office displays.

Any legal injunction should be directed to Mr Hugh O'Reilly, Company Solicitor, An Post, GPO, O'Connell Street, Dublin 1.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Eimear Breen
Corporate Communications Executive
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:14 pm

FXR wrote:Mr xxxxxxx,

Many thanks for your enquiry. The plans for this year's seasonal display in the GPO are still being finalised and a number of departments, including Property and Communications are involved. The display will most likely comprise the traditional nativity crib display, always so popular with Dubliners and visitors to the city, as well as a selection of Santa's workshop and Santa's post office displays.

Any legal injunction should be directed to Mr Hugh O'Reilly, Company Solicitor, An Post, GPO, O'Connell Street, Dublin 1.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Eimear Breen
Corporate Communications Executive
Just to be clear before I email them, does the constitution guarantee a level of state/church separation?

Is the GPO technically public property? Is An Post government owned? or do we have a church/state violation here similar to that of the schooling system where the government cops out church state separation by having nothing to do with the schools other than through funding?
bipedalhumanoid

Post by bipedalhumanoid » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:11 am

Ah. Here we go...

Corporate structure
An Post is a major commercial organisation providing a wide range of services which encompass postal, communication, retail and money transmission services. It is one of Ireland's largest companies directly employing over 9,600 people through its national network of retail, processing and delivery points. It provides agency services for Government Departments, the National Treasury Management Agency, An Post National Lottery Company and many other commercial bodies.

The company is a limited liability company, incorporated under the Companies Act, 1963 to 1983. Under the Postal and Telecommunications Services Act, 1983, the Company is entitled to omit the word - 'Limited’ from its name.

One ordinary share is held by the Minister for Finance and the remainder of the issued share capital is held by the Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources.

Details of the activities carried on by subsidiary, associated and joint venture undertakings, together with the information required by Section 158 of the Companies Act, 1963, are given in note 26 to the 2005 financial statements.

Details of the results for the year are set out in the consolidated profit and loss account and in the financial statements.

Corporate GovernanceMaintaining high standards of corporate governance continues to be a priority for the directors of An Post. The Department of Finance's Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies and the UK Combined Code are the foundations on which their corporate governance policy is based.

The directors are accountable to the shareholders for good corporate governance, and the Annual Report addresses how the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies and the relevant main and supporting principles of the 2003 Combined Code have been applied within An Post.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent ... +a+glance/

It's a Ltd company but wholy owned by the government. Presumably An Post Ltd corporate entity owns the GPO.

What does the constitition have to say about this kind of violation in State/Church separation?
FXR

Post by FXR » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:41 pm

I don't actually know but I was hoping someone else here would. I seem to remember a thread where a post included a quote from the constitution on this subject but I can't find it.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:41 pm

oh dear that headline somebody might take you seriously?

would you mind a crib on oconnell street?

would you mind one outside a church?