Atheist Ireland starting community outreach group

Atheist Ireland starting community outreach group

Postby MichaelNugent » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Atheist Ireland is starting a community outreach group to do good things for the community without religious influence. We’ll be organising charity events, visiting people in institutions, responding to requests for help where we can provide it, and generally being good without gods! Please let us know if you want to take part in our activities. Also, as this initiative is still in the planning stage, please let us know what type of things you think we should or should not be doing.
MichaelNugent
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Community Outreach Group

Postby Boonik » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi all,
We are in the planning stages of a Community Outreach Group that will do charitable activities within the community without a religious influence or religious agenda. We’ll be organising charity events, visiting people in institutions, where the chaplain service is not wanted by the individual, but a non judgmental conversation is, responding to requests for help where we can provide it, and generally being good without gods!

As mentioned above we are putting together a framework that we can work to so if anyone feels that they can contribute in any way, or if anyone has any ideas as to the best way to approach this please let your views be known.

Regards,
Peter Burke.
Boonik
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Community Outreach Group

Postby paolovf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:36 pm

I think this is a great idea. Which communities do you plan to operate in to begin with?
paolovf
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Atheist Ireland starting community outreach group

Postby funkyderek » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:57 pm

The Facebook discussion of this initiative can be found here.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
funkyderek

Postby dscanlon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:51 pm

This is a superb idea, really looking forward to being able to get my kids involved in these charity events.

Looking forward to hearing about future plans, will offer assistance as I can (which is limited enough, as I've three kids under 4 years old)...

D
dscanlon

Postby mkaobrih » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:56 am

Good Without Gods planning meeting, Sunday 29th July: The first planning meeting for Atheist Ireland’s new community outreach project will take place in Dublin on the afternoon of Sunday 29th July. If you would like to take part, please let us know here and we will arrange a suitable venue based on how many people want to attend. The project’s aim is to do good things for the community without religious influence: we’ll be organising charity events, visiting people in institutions, responding to requests for help where we can provide it, and generally being good without gods! Please let us know if you can attend on Sunday 29th July, and please also make suggestions here for things the new group can do.
Anyone interested can join on the facebook page linked above.
The church complains of persecution when it's not allowed to persecute.
mkaobrih

Postby Tulip1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:28 am

Great Idea!! I will try and make it to the meeting.
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
Tulip1
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby rccaulfield » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Great idea! Perhaps getting leaflets to the general /psychiatric hospitals is a start, the legion of Mary is rife in psych hospitals and a secular option should be there!
rccaulfield

Postby funkyderek » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:04 pm

We've come up with several ideas which we're researching at the moment, and we're meeting again on Sunday. One project that we've already started is a lending team on Kiva, a microlending charity that helps people work their way out of poverty. At the moment new lenders get a free loan (donated by a generous benefactor) and so does the person who invited them. This means we can help without actually spending any of our own money (although, of course, we can help more if we add our own money to it). We've already raised US$675 and have a target of $1000 for the end of August. Click on the Kiva icon in my signature to sign up.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Image Image Image Image
funkyderek

Postby reaper » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:48 pm

do I need a facebook account to join?

Return to Announcements & Meetings