Is it time to start an Irish Atheists Association?

Is it time to start an Irish Atheists Association

Yes I'd join and pay €25 membership fee
87%
You can't herd cats
6%
I don't have €25 euro to spare
7%

Total votes : 86

Is it time to start an Irish Atheists Association?

Postby FXR » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:42 pm

Lately on radio and tv you will notice there are more non uniformed reps talking up for the CCL.

On radio last week on Q102 after a survey that found religious people were less intelligent who did they have on to discuss the results: a guy from the Irish Catholic newspaper who spent his time spouting unchallenged waffle.

On the other hand if you've been keeping up with activity on the website Irish Catholic at proboards for example this site is producing people who can take on any catholic spokesman* or religious subject and make religion look like the archaic superstition that it is.

After I'd posted this in another section DickSpicer turned up with this article;
http://www.atheist.ie/cgi-bin/ia/cgi/pm ... &app_id=59
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR

Postby ctr » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:12 pm

Option 1 for me.....(again) :wink:
ctr
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Postby FXR » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:20 pm

ctr wrote:Option 1 for me.....(again) :wink:

So that's a potential €50 in the pot, how much is an ad on a bus?
Human communication is a very rickety rope bridge between minds. Its too narrow to allow but a few thoughts to cross at a time. Many are lost in the chasms of noise, suspicion, misinterpretation and shooting the message through dislike of the messenger.
FXR

Re: Is it time to start an Irish Atheists Association?

Postby CatHerder » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:39 pm

FXR wrote:After I'd posted this in another section DickSpicer turned up with this article;
http://www.atheist.ie/cgi-bin/ia/cgi/pm ... &app_id=59

Just in case anyone didn't know
Humanist Association of Ireland wrote:Dick Spicer is vice-chairperson and ceremonial coordinator of the Humanist Association of Ireland

I'd join and pay a subscription to an official Irish Atheists Association.

If a group here can organize themselves and elect a treasurer I can have the atheist.ie paypal account directed to the associations official bank account. Subscriptions could be gathered through the site, which may suit the majority of members seen as this is currently an internet community only. There is currently €354.46 in a personal bank account that I set up to maintain this site. This amount has been generated from sporadic donations and a few monthly subscriptions to the site. I've been paying the hosting costs from it on a monthly basis. The amount in that account has been stating to mount up so I was thinking of hiring the voice chat room for the site again.

I’d be prepared to continue in my capacity as webmaster but I’m not really pushed about taking on any more responsibility. I may at some point even want to retire from what I am doing. :o
CatHerder
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Re: Is it time to start an Irish Atheists Association?

Postby FXR » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:49 pm

CatHerder wrote:
I'd join and pay a subscription to an official Irish Atheists Association.

That's €75....nice one Cats.

CatHerder wrote:If a group here can organize themselves and elect a treasurer I can have the atheist.ie paypal account directed to the associations official bank account. Subscriptions could be gathered through the site, which may suit the majority of members seen as this is currently an internet community only. There is currently €354.46 in a personal bank account that I set up to maintain this site. This amount has been generated from sporadic donations and a few monthly subscriptions to the site. I've been paying the hosting costs from it on a monthly basis. The amount in that account has been stating to mount up so I was thinking of hiring the voice chat room for the site again.

Thanks for all your work thus far. I don't think the voice chat thing is nescessary and it did not work well before. It seems to go well enough the way it is.

CatHerder wrote:I may at some point even want to retire from what I am doing. :o

Don't do it......Catherder.........your's too young to die. I was going to vote for you as chairman..
FXR

Postby Alexis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:51 am

Forming rival groups is what people do in a war, isn't it? That's why I'm against forming an official atheist group against the christian fundies. IMO, that would be taking them too seriously :wink:

The best way to avenge your arch enemy is to ignore *it* completely. Why waste your precious life proving yourself to your enemy? You either ARE what you claim to be, or you're not. :roll:
Alexis

Postby lostexpectation » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:18 am

i suppose one could organise ones owns talks (ie not me :P)

but an athesit group out of here could organise our own talks, names help bring people out, put up list of who you like to invite over, and also see who's on tour at the mo.

it fairly quick way to start organising, and get feel for a group.

there was some ucd law lecturer on newstalk during the week didn't catch his name. speaking as atheist, he was bit to forgiving of religion and shouted a bit too much.

people need to give time not nessecarily money to the project, one has to see if it feasible
test
lostexpectation

copying in article so people can quote and read.

Postby lostexpectation » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:24 am

come out of the virtual world and into the real world

An article by dickspicer

dickspicer wrote:I have been following the development of this site with some interest over the last while, it is a most welcome arrival. Generally the tone is more radical than that of the Humanist Association of Ireland and nothing wrong with that. In fact much to be desired I feel would be an organisation which functioned as a more radical voice of the non-religious community.

Just as there are religious groups which are radicallly hostile to non-believers and spend there time dissing the atheistic viewpoint it would equal things up if there was similar diversity on the non-religious side -would it not?

It is not I believe the role of a humanist association. A humanist association should seek to advance the rights and interests in society at large of the non-eligious comunity, and attacking religous beliefs in a direct fashion is not the way to garner support from society for equality and reform in its treatment of the non-religious community.

Humanists also cater for the ceremonial needs of the wider non-religious community and again the battling image of a militant atheist group would not sit well with such a role.

So...you radical atheists,...come out from behind your log in names...and the virtual world, put your real names and selves on the line, call a meeting and set up an atheist campaign group? As your first project pursue the atheist Bus Ad idea ? It will get you publicity and a public image (not one that would suit the Humanist image)....and there are numerous other ways and issues you can take on and be sure of publicity.... ?

Surely with close to 1,000 members there should be a dozen or so of you (thats how the Humanists started) willing to stand up and be counted. I for one wish you well if you do so....

I have to say though that I have my doubts that there is even that number amongst you who will do so. I suspect that the virtual world (virtual friends being an example) is a substitute for the real world. In the real world one has to put up (publicily) or shut up. In the virtual world one can wax on forever in anonymity promoting all sorts of radical causes without ever actually doing something.

Please prove me wrong, I have no doubt that there will be members of the HAI who will be drawn to such a development also, so some real people will come your way if a few of you can but gather the courage.

Dick Spicer
test
lostexpectation

Postby bipedalhumanoid » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:50 am

Yes! Absolutely. Long overdue. I would happily pay a subscription to join such a group. I'm already a member of the Australian Atheist Foundation and Humanist Association of Ireland.
bipedalhumanoid

Postby Ygern » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:38 am

I'd join. Its a good idea.

BUT! None of this The Borders Of Dublin = The Edge of the World stuff. :P

ie I would respectfully request that at least once in a while a meeting happens in Cork or Limerick or Galway (depending on membership)
Ygern
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Next

Return to Announcements & Meetings