Is it time to start an Irish Atheists Association?

Is it time to start an Irish Atheists Association

Yes I'd join and pay €25 membership fee
87%
You can't herd cats
6%
I don't have €25 euro to spare
7%

Total votes: 86
Boreas
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Boreas » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:54 pm

I'm not opposed to the idea of a new national group being set up but I have to wonder wouldn't it be better for people to join the already existing HAI?

They're already recognised by the government and have (an all be it small) membership base. Do we really need to start from the beginning again?

By way of comparison, the left in Ireland has suffered from being broken into small groups that often end up fighting with each other.

What I'd like to see is an umbrella group that could unite the HAI, Irish Skeptics and Irish Atheists into a single group and then work towards building a mass membership organisation. While we might not agree on everything we all agree that society should be run on the basis of reason and evidence.

Full disclosure - I'm a member of the HAI and the Irish Skeptics and have been recently involved in starting a local group in the Mid-West.
DanCorb

Post by DanCorb » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:56 pm

I'd join for sure.
andrewjdoyle

Post by andrewjdoyle » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:59 pm

This is my first time posting on this site because I only recently learned of it's existence.

A corporation limited by guarantee would suit our purpose. It's a legal mechanism where those who subscribe as members elect a board of directors to run the company. The members act as owners but have no right to sell shares or withdraw money or anything like that. A lot of sports clubs use that model as it involves very little hassle for the members. These are simple technicalities that are easy enough to work out.

Alexis made the comment that the 'best way to avenge your arch enemy is to ignore *it* completely'. That is a strategic error. Someone (presumably this group) needs to promote critical thinking. This doesn't mean going to 'war' with religion. That would be morally wrong, and only serve to drive moral people away from atheist groups. There is, however, a need for rational people to get into the habit of countering illogical claims in the media. We don't have a culture of doing that here. It's too easy to let the church(es) have their opinion and not challenge them with logical thinking. This country is however more rational than many others. A lot of 'Catholics" when pushed, reveal that they don't believe in a personal 'God'. It usually doesn't take mush probing to discover that they don't have a strong conviction towards any kind of irrational belief.

In my experience, the word 'Atheist' has certain connotations that some people feel embarrassed about. On the other hand, for a lot of people, if pushed, saying that they believe in a 'God' who answers prayers etc is far more embarrassing. I feel the problem is that we're not having these conversations often enough with 'Catholic Atheists' as we could call them.

If a more formal organisational structure is to be adopted, I'd suggest it takes a broader focus than targeting the particular illogical beliefs that stem from theology. Theologically inspired irrational beliefs are only a symptom of a wider problem: our innate human ability to ignore reason in favour of something else, be it social inclusion, or family tradition, or whatever. I think a skeptics society would serve us better.
dj357

Post by dj357 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:08 am

Boreas wrote:I'm not opposed to the idea of a new national group being set up but I have to wonder wouldn't it be better for people to join the already existing HAI?

They're already recognised by the government and have (an all be it small) membership base. Do we really need to start from the beginning again?

By way of comparison, the left in Ireland has suffered from being broken into small groups that often end up fighting with each other.

What I'd like to see is an umbrella group that could unite the HAI, Irish Skeptics and Irish Atheists into a single group and then work towards building a mass membership organisation. While we might not agree on everything we all agree that society should be run on the basis of reason and evidence.

Full disclosure - I'm a member of the HAI and the Irish Skeptics and have been recently involved in starting a local group in the Mid-West.
Hi Boreas,

I understand where you're coming from, but from the comments you made about the HAI at our meeting a few weeks ago, it didn't seem like they would be willing to back initiatives like the Atheist Bus Ad, or any of the more "radical" (by odin's beard, I hate using that word) things we may would put forward under the banner of Atheism.

Actually, it seemed to me that the HAI would want to generally steer clear of anything that could be termed Anti-Theism, which, it has to be said, is a position that a LOT of atheists/agnostics/freethinkers take.
"In meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!"
I'm An Atheist...
Midwest Humanists!! - http://midwesthumanists.wordpress.com
dandabananaman

Post by dandabananaman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:21 am

Thanks,but no thanks.Personally I'd rather spend my 25 euros down the pub or on a nice bag of weed. Honestly,folks, this site needs a serious dose of humour. Life should be more fun without a vengeful imaginary friend to screw it up.Don't take it so serious.
dj357

Post by dj357 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:22 am

dandabananaman wrote:Thanks,but no thanks.Personally I'd rather spend my 25 euros down the pub or on a nice bag of weed. Honestly,folks, this site needs a serious dose of humour. Life should be more fun without a vengeful imaginary friend to screw it up.Don't take it so serious.
but how is your 25euros of booze or weed helping to remove that vengeful imaginary friend from the larger circle of public influence....?
"In meinem Himmel gibt's keinen Gott!"
I'm An Atheist...
Midwest Humanists!! - http://midwesthumanists.wordpress.com
YogaBear

Post by YogaBear » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:25 am

Although I can no longer honestly say I'm a fully fledged atheist ... (I can't quite put my finger on it but I can't not - strange but true), I'd forgotten about this website.
I have to get up early but will read the article by "DickSpicer" tomorrow when I get back. Interesting topic.
morgancjones

official association

Post by morgancjones » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:32 am

I've got to be honest, I'd pay the €25 if only to get an official tshirt or something I could wear on a sunday but I would hate to think any irish association would be all happy clappy like the crap you see on american sites. Jesus they may as well be evangelicals. I am much more of an option two (can't herd cats) kind of an atheist and to be completely frank this much baring my soul to a stranger is beginning to feel uncomfortably like confession. I do have a fund raising suggestion though. Have you thought about the possibility of using teams of jehova's atheists? it would be nice to target only religious households (or ideally jehovahs). I also have other plans regarding the establishment of an atheist papacy but they are at present shaky and requiring polish
Boreas
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by Boreas » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:37 am

andrewjdoyle wrote: I think a skeptics society would serve us better.
Hi Andrew,

There is already an Irish Skeptics Society see - http://www.irishskeptics.net/

If we do go down the route of forming a new group I vote for - The Atheist Community of Ireland - ACI. I'm sure the ACA won't mind http://www.atheist-community.org/ :D
Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:41 am

I would agree with this in principle but would like to hear what the aims of such an organisation would be. Where's my 25 quid going man....